Financial literacy in schools

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

cellobear
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by cellobear »

Just to share

Though I do not know what they are teaching, but at least its on the right direction.

ch.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aug 30, 2010
By Leow Si Wan
Teachers who have been through the programme will be roped in to help conduct workshops and mentor their peers in primary, secondary and pre-university schools. -- PHOTO: BT

A FINANCIAL literacy programme given the thumbs up by thousands of teachers and pupils will now be imparted to others.

On Monday, the National Institute of Education (NIE) launched an initiative to teach the very practical skills of managing one's money through savings, budgeting and investments to 3,000 teachers by 2012 - who in turn will reach 250,000 pupils and students.

Teachers who have been through the programme will be roped in to help conduct workshops and mentor their peers in primary, secondary and pre-university schools.

Financial literary, said NIE's director Lee Sing Kong, is an important life skill which all students should pick up.

More than 1,000 teachers and 6,000 students involved in evaluating the three-year-old programme said they had benefited, according to NIE's senior lecturer for Humanities and Social Studies who also chairs the programme, Dr Koh Noi Keng.

She said: 'Comparing before and after the programme, students showed a marked increase in the... perception of financial literacy and a greater understanding of financial concepts.'
lootster
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by lootster »

Let's just hope that they don't teach the wrong things :)

Perhaps Dennis can help out on this project
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

lootster wrote:Let's just hope that they don't teach the wrong things :)

Perhaps Dennis can help out on this project
I think they will be teaching basic Financial Literacy of differentiating Needs from Wants, how to budget one's finances.

What I teach in my Seminars are HOW to move from Middle Class to Become Rich, quite a different matter altogether.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.