Giving is more blessing than receiving

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

whye

Giving is more blessing than receiving

Post by whye »

Hi all,

I want to share my fund raising experience for the charity work me and my team currently involve under Habitat for Humanity Singapore. The team will require to do physical construction works together with the local families, building a house with materials that are appropriate for the local area to improve their housing conditions. We believe that these homes will give the families a sense of security, and also be a cornerstone for their happiness and hope for brighter futures. With these believes, a total number of 11 volunteers as of to date are going to Medan this November for a period of one week, to build, to share & to contribute in every little way we could.

Recruiting volunteers and asking for donation is quite challenging. A lot of people know that giving is more blessing than receiving but putting in actions can then make a difference. The progress of raising the fund was a bit worrying as for this project to work, Habitat for Humanity requires us to make a contribution of minimum S$10,000 for a team of 10, with an additional S$750 for each additional member. This sum of money constitutes the full amount of the building materials as well as to sustain Habitat project to fight poverty globally.

As a team leader, I hope by setting up good example, I'll be able to inspire the rest of the members to work on the donation as we were still far from the target. So I thicken my skin and spread the message wider to reach out to more people within my means. More and more donation started to flow in, there are a lot of people touched me with their generous donation and sincerity, I'm very thankful.

But there was this particular case where I was stunt in front of the computer screen and tearing upon seeing the commitment of donation without hesitation from the donor through a very short chat on facebook which I was requesting for donation.

I would like to extend my appreciation by posting in this kind donor's forum, he made a great impact in me by being a living example. I can't say enough thanks on behalf of the entire team and also the less fortunate people who is going to benefit from this.

I'm not sure if he is willing to share the total amount of donation, but with his donation alone, we are very very close to our target set by Habitat for Humanity. I kept thanking him, he said he do not have time to support charity activities like this, this is the least he can do. My eye sight just blurred out...

Even though the donation target is near, but the team is still trying to reach out further before the deadlines.

If you would like to find out more about Habitat for Humanity, please go to this website http://www.habitat.org.sg/global.html

Regards,
Whye
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: Giving is more blessing than receiving

Post by Dennis Ng »

whye wrote:Hi all,

I want to share my fund raising experience for the charity work me and my team currently involve under Habitat for Humanity Singapore. The team will require to do physical construction works together with the local families, building a house with materials that are appropriate for the local area to improve their housing conditions. We believe that these homes will give the families a sense of security, and also be a cornerstone for their happiness and hope for brighter futures. With these belief, a total number of 11 volunteers as of to date are going to Medan this November for a period of one week, to build, to share & to contribute in every little way we could.

Recruiting volunteers and asking for donation is quite challenging. A lot of people know that giving is more blessing than receiving but putting in actions can then make a difference.

Even though the donation target is near, but the team is still trying to reach out further before the deadlines.

If you would like to find out more about Habitat for Humanity, please go to this website http://www.habitat.org.sg/global.html

Regards,
Whye
Hi Whye,
I've heard of Habitat for Humanity before. I think it is very meaningful to help build houses for the poor.

I just want to comment that I disagree that Giving is more blessing than Receiving.

That day I read an article which says that True Giving is giving from the heart, that one forget about who is giving and who is receiving. When a person gives, he/she just gives, he/she is not thinking of getting blessing for doing so, becos True Giving is without expecting any returns or having any conditions. eg. of a condition is: if I donate S$100 million, you must name the Hospital after my name. (Real Life Stories of 2 Hospitals in Singapore).

For one to give, someone receives, so the process is only Whole and Round if it creates a Virtuous Cycle of Giving and Receiving.

Let me share this true story of Anthony Robbins who received when he was young and he went on to Give (setting up a foundation) when he grew up...

http://www.anthonyrobbinsfoundation.org ... oneman.php

So let's not think whether it is more blessed to give or receive. Let's all just start Giving (can be money, time, concern, care, a hug, a smile, a listening ear etc, etc...) and set the Virtuous Cycle of Give and Receive in Motion...

For me, I have no hesitation writing a cheque for S$10,000 for Charity, but I took over 2 years before finally buying myself a Rolex Watch in year 2010...becos to me, buying a Rolex watch only benefit myself, but I know that the money would go a long way and do alot of good if it goes to the Right Charity doing the Right Work to help others...
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
AndrewNg
Gold Forum Contributor

Re: Giving is more blessing than receiving

Post by AndrewNg »

Hi Everyone,

Just to share what i am learning about giving and receiving.

The Giver:
Before giving, the mind have to be peaceful and happy
During giving, the mind have to be peaceful and happy
After giving, the mind have to be peaceful and happy

The Receiver:
Before receiving, the mind have to peaceful and happy
During receiving, the mind have to be peaceful and happy
After receiving, the mind have to be peaceful and happy

Whether we are giver or receiver, if we can achieve this state of mind during the act of giving and receiving, the value can be magnified many times.

I am still very far away from being able to achieve that state of mind for every giving and receiving that i had performed but taking baby steps now.

regards
Andrew
Dennis Ng wrote:
whye wrote:Hi all,

I want to share my fund raising experience for the charity work me and my team currently involve under Habitat for Humanity Singapore. The team will require to do physical construction works together with the local families, building a house with materials that are appropriate for the local area to improve their housing conditions. We believe that these homes will give the families a sense of security, and also be a cornerstone for their happiness and hope for brighter futures. With these belief, a total number of 11 volunteers as of to date are going to Medan this November for a period of one week, to build, to share & to contribute in every little way we could.

Recruiting volunteers and asking for donation is quite challenging. A lot of people know that giving is more blessing than receiving but putting in actions can then make a difference.

Regards,
Whye
Hi Whye,
I've heard of Habitat for Humanity before. I think it is very meaningful to help build houses for the poor.

I just want to comment that I disagree that Giving is more blessing than Receiving.

That day I read an article which says that True Giving is giving from the heart, that one forget about who is giving and who is receiving. When a person gives, he/she just gives, he/she is not thinking of getting blessing for doing so, becos True Giving is without expecting any returns or having any conditions. eg. of a condition is: if I donate S$100 million, you must name the Hospital after my name. (Real Life Stories of 2 Hospitals in Singapore).

For one to give, someone receives, so the process is only Whole and Round if it creates a Virtuous Cycle of Giving and Receiving.

Let me share this true story of Anthony Robbins who received when he was young and he went on to Give (setting up a foundation) when he grew up...

http://www.anthonyrobbinsfoundation.org ... oneman.php

So let's not think whether it is more blessed to give or receive. Let's all just start Giving (can be money, time, concern, care, a hug, a smile, a listening ear etc, etc...) and set the Virtuous Cycle of Give and Receive in Motion...

For me, I have no hesitation writing a cheque for S$10,000 for Charity, but I took over 2 years before finally buying myself a Rolex Watch in year 2010...becos to me, buying a Rolex watch only benefit myself, but I know that the money would go a long way and do alot of good if it goes to the Right Charity doing the Right Work to help others...
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaru_Emoto

Dr Masaru Emoto (江本 勝 Emoto Masaru?, born July 22, 1943) is a Japanese author and entrepreneur known for his claims that human consciousness has an effect on the molecular structure of water. Emoto's hypothesis has evolved over the years of his research. Initially Dr. Emoto claimed that high-quality water forms beautiful and intricate crystals, while low-quality water has difficulty forming crystals. According to Dr. Emoto, an ice crystal of distilled water exhibits a basic hexagonal structure with no intricate branching. Emoto claims that positive changes to water crystals can be achieved through prayer, music or by attaching written words to a container of water.

Interview with Dr. Masaru Emoto about the magic of "Love" and "Hate" on Water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujQAk9EM ... re=related

Dr Masaru says that we can create our own reality...becos everything is energy, everything is vibrations...

http://www.thankwater.net/
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.