RIP, our dearest mentor and teacher, Dennis Ng

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

wykay78

RIP, our dearest mentor and teacher, Dennis Ng

Post by wykay78 »

Hi graduates,

As I can see a lot of you have received news about our sifu, Dennis by now, I feel someone should take the initiative to provide some clarity instead of hearing the news from different parties. Probably this is what Dennis would do as well as I know he is someone that dislikes rumors and will speak upfront. And who better to hear from than someone who was with him till his last breath.

Yes, Dennis has returned to the lord early this morning at 1:30am. He was admitted to SGH after he fainted in his Park Mall office. He was there to deliver a workshop together with Andy, his brother. To what I know, no one could pinpoint what has caused Dennis' death but from the symptoms he was suffering, it COULD be a heart attack.

I am sure this news would come to many of you as a shock, including myself as no one would expect a noble person like Dennis to have a short life. Dennis, wherever you are, you have my highest respect for what you have done to the society and I am sure your teachings have benefited and will continue to benefit many, many people. May you rest in peace.

The wake will be conducted at Blk 632 Veerasamy Road starting from tonight. However, I was told that family members would prefer some privacy and graduates have been told to pay their respects from tomorrow onwards (Friday, 27th July). So, we are planning to drop by tomorrow at about 7-7:30pm. If any graduates would also like to come along, please do so.

Best Regards,

Yew Kin
ngtfook
Platinum Forum Contributor

Re: RIP, our dearest mentor and teacher, Dennis Ng

Post by ngtfook »

I feel very sad for Dennis sudden departure.

May he RIP.
Price is what you pay; Value is what you get
RayNg
Ms Tan
Investing Mentor

Post by Ms Tan »

We will deeply miss Dennis for his selfless teaching. The good thing is his sharing will be continued by his graduates.

Wei Teck & I will attend his wake on Fri 7 - 7.30pm as suggested by Yew Kin, see you there if you are attending too.

Rest in peace, Dennis.
Jasper
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Jasper »

Yes,I be there tomorrow...
And we have to discuss how this forum will continue tomorrow & tomorrow & tomorrow....
walkinepark

Post by walkinepark »

R.I.P. Dennis.. This is too shocking!
We will definitely miss you and your teachings.

Hope your legacy of giving carries on..
ahvyee
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by ahvyee »

I was shocked when I received the news..

RIP
hahabear
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by hahabear »

Hi all,

I came across this blog of Donna, whom Dennis has made a difference to her life.
http://www.donnadaritan.com/2012/07/how ... -last.html

I guess all of us hear share the same feelings over the loss of Dennis...

How Would You Know It Will be the Last? (A Dedication to My Mentor - Dennis Ng)
I lost an admirable friend and a great mentor today. I'm still in shocked as I'm typing this because 2 deaths of the people I knew around the same time, playing Cashflow game in 2001-2003, simply not amusing any more.

How would you know, really, that the last time you saw that person, would really be the LAST time?

You wouldn't know ...

I didn't too.

Monday, 25 June 2012 - we had a gathering at Park Mall where Dennis Ng, my financial mentor whom I personally saw his progress from zero to financially free, was giving (who would have known) a last lecture. As eerily as this might have sound, I felt very off when I saw him. He loved to do this to people who come early to any talks of his, he opened up the floor by welcoming any questions. At that point of time, I felt like asking him - are you okay, Dennis? You look so skinny. Is everything okay? But I refrained myself from doing so. Not going to put him on a spotlight like that but I texted a few of my friends about this.

At the end of the talk, he did reveal that he's struggling with his health. My heart was so crunched. This guy, who's struggling with his health and yet he's still doing what he does passionately - sharing the message of financial literacy. I was and still kinda not the type of person who gives people hugs. My BFF is training me though, asking me to hug few of my close friends. I summed up the courage before I left the room, I asked Dennis - Can I give you a hug? I did. I tried so hard to hold back my tears. Now I know why I was compelled to do what I did then. I followed my heart and never look back and I glad I did it because now, no more chance.

He reassured me then - I'm fine, don't worry. I'm fine.

He was not fine. He is gone now.

How would you know, my friends, that the person you see now in front of you, will be the last time you see them? How would you know that whatever you strongly believe in really don't matter when death comes knocking at the door?

You wouldn't know.
You really wouldn't know.

The best advice he has ever given to me is to acquire self knowledge and honestly express yourself at its best. People can teach you anything but ultimately, you will come out with your own knowledge - your unique way of fishing instead of being given the fish. His legacy is simply by reassuring people how ordinary and average he was and yet through believing 100%, he achieved what he couldn't even imagine would be possible.

Thank you, Dennis for your life. I am really honoured and so privileged to know you. To walk those paths with you carrying our Cashflow board game to people's houses for free. You helped me when I was just a student to attend those investing seminars. Most importantly, after all these years, you never forget me and acknowledged our experiences in any of your talks as if I was one of the witness of your journey, which I was. You were my real life proof of possibility. I saw your journey and you were who you said you were. Hope your legacy will continue. You will be so truly missed by me.

RIP.

Donna Doritan
Battleship
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Battleship »

I first came to know Dennis in Feb 2011. He was an honest, selfless and sincere person who did things he believed in. He was very willing to guide and teach. He preferred you to have the thinking process than always asking for an answer. His workshops were of high value. I feel that it is really a great pity to have such a person to depart so early with the world. He would have much more to contribute to the society.

Dennis has influenced my life and thinking. I am extremely sad when I came to know the news 2 hours ago. Dennis was such a great friend and a great mentor. Rest in Peace Sifu. You will be missed.

Jimmy
Cheers!
Battleship
ui21cn
Investing Mentor

Post by ui21cn »

I bought the very first book by Dennis:- Mastering Your Personal Finance when it was first published way back in 2009 ( 1st publication ).

This was the type of book I was searching for a long time- simple to understand and easy to execute. I was glad that I adopted some of the recommendations from the book and improve my financial position greatly.

The magic of the Connected World come into play when my wife pulled me along to attend Dennis seminar in 2011.

As the saying goes, the rest are history. I benefited much more than I expected and Dennis provide the platform for me to share with fellow graduates as well.

Very thankful to his selfless teaching and sharing spirit, we as his fellow graduates should continue to do our part to share and teach others whenever possible.

My heartfelt condolences to his family members and wish they will stay strong and be very proud of Dennis’s contribution to society.

We should remember how he lives his life to make the difference …….

Best Regards,
Wei Teck
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Tribute to Dennis, last public radio recording that he shared on the forum on Jul 25, 2012.
Dennis Ng wrote:958 城市频道2012年7月19日

什么是房地产投资信托基金?如何选择?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf6qSJFK ... e=youtu.be
lootster

Post by lootster »

I came to know of Dennis online through Wallstraits forum (some of you might have heard of..... 10 yrs ago maybe.) and I think he is still a financial planner back then..... He is always not afraid to voice his view despite many criticism. Over the years, I keep following his online "trails" and from his sharing on investment, you can tell this person really knows his stuff and there is a lot you can learnt from him.

But most of the time even if you are willing to learn, others may not be willing to teach. I'm glad that Dennis is the rare one who is genuine to share his knowledge with you without any reservation. It's up to individual how much you can learn from him and apply. Cos knowledge itself is not a power, but by applying knowledge is.....

I believe we all has benefit in one way or the other from Dennis teaching, now it's up to us to continue do our part to carry on his legacy!
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Coincidentally, I met Dennis online through Wallstraits forum too, that's when he became my financial planner in 2005.
lootster wrote:I came to know of Dennis online through Wallstraits forum (some of you might have heard of..... 10 yrs ago maybe.) and I think he is still a financial planner back then..... He is always not afraid to voice his view despite many criticism. Over the years, I keep following his online "trails" and from his sharing on investment, you can tell this person really knows his stuff and there is a lot you can learnt from him.

But most of the time even if you are willing to learn, others may not be willing to teach. I'm glad that Dennis is the rare one who is genuine to share his knowledge with you without any reservation. It's up to individual how much you can learn from him and apply. Cos knowledge itself is not a power, but by applying knowledge is.....

I believe we all has benefit in one way or the other from Dennis teaching, now it's up to us to continue do our part to carry on his legacy!
louiskst
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by louiskst »

RIP Dennis. Thanks for your guidance. Although you are not here, but we will continue to learn. Thanks for the knowledge that you have shared with us.

louiskst
fahrenheit
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by fahrenheit »

Let us all make every effort, big or small, to carry on his wonderful legacy in giving and contributing in the forum. Indeed it is more blessed to give than to receive. Truly, he is an enlightened person whom I have the biggest privilege of meeting and learning from. He is a God sent, may God bless his soul.
meowweom
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by meowweom »

RIP Dennis - a true selfless n noble man.

I felt sad yesterday with his posting about ending the forums.
And really took a deeper look into doing the 3 things stated.
2days ago was still telling my friend to join his course.
Think I should do more, in memory of him and his work.

Meowweom