Taxation Strategies

This discussion thread is for forum members to discuss and learn and share with one another on anything related to the Property Market.

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

findleowong
Platinum Forum Contributor

Taxation Strategies

Post by findleowong »

Dear all,

Does anyone know, what are the different types of taxation strategies available to invest in the property market?

Thanks
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: Taxation Strategies

Post by Dennis Ng »

findleowong wrote:Dear all,

Does anyone know, what are the different types of taxation strategies available to invest in the property market?

Thanks
too generic a question until not sure what you're asking.

Taxation in Singapore is pretty straightforward and simple and NOT a main strategy to make money in property.

For instance, there is NO capital gains tax on properties in Singapore, unlike other countries, which might have different level of capital gain tax depending on taxation strategies.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
findleowong

Post by findleowong »

Hi Dennis,

I do agree the question I posted is generic. Especially, going through your book, on page 84.

You have mention on the rental. Rental at $3000. Other cost like interest, property tax, fire insurance, etc are around $1500.

Submission on the tax should be $1500 instead $3000.

I like to find out are there any other taxation strategies. I heard something on buying either the person name or other people name. Not sure on it & it got to do with the taxation.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

findleowong wrote:Hi Dennis,

I do agree the question I posted is generic. Especially, going through your book, on page 84.

You have mention on the rental. Rental at $3000. Other cost like interest, property tax, fire insurance, etc are around $1500.

Submission on the tax should be $1500 instead $3000.

I like to find out are there any other taxation strategies. I heard something on buying either the person name or other people name. Not sure on it & it got to do with the taxation.
make sure it is legal.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
findleowong

Post by findleowong »

Dear all,

to invest in property, should we purchase it with our personal name or through trust or company?

I heard there's some difference in the tax.

Thanks
Leo
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

to invest in property, should we purchase it with our personal name or through trust or company?

Thanks
Leo
Hi Leo,
in Singapore, doing through Trust you might have problem getting financing for the property. Trust is a common way in Australia to reduce tax though.

For an average investor, owning not more than 3 properties, the simple way is to own it through Personal name, not company.

For company, if you borrow, you still need to Guarantee the debt. Interest rate charged typically would be higher and the percentage of financing might be lower eg. 70% instead of 80%.
Cheers!

findleowong

Post by findleowong »

Dennis Ng wrote:

Thanks
Leo
Hi Leo,
in Singapore, doing through Trust you might have problem getting financing for the property. Trust is a common way in Australia to reduce tax though.

For an average investor, owning not more than 3 properties, the simple way is to own it through Personal name, not company.

For company, if you borrow, you still need to Guarantee the debt. Interest rate charged typically would be higher and the percentage of financing might be lower eg. 70% instead of 80%.
Hi Dennis,

thanks for the information. Indeed, it's informative whereas you operate the housing loan business & know the inside out.

Greatly appreciated it.

Thanks
Leo
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

findleowong wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote:

Thanks
Leo
Hi Leo,

Hi Dennis,

thanks for the information. Indeed, it's informative whereas you operate the housing loan business & know the inside out.

Greatly appreciated it.

Thanks
Leo
Hi Leo, yes, I have clients in Australia as well, so I'm quite familiar with the situation in Australia too.
Cheers!