Singapore's psf to hit the likes of London?

This discussion thread is for forum members to discuss and learn and share with one another on anything related to the Property Market.

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

sheiwah
Silver Forum Contributor

Singapore's psf to hit the likes of London?

Post by sheiwah »

hi Dennis and all gurus out there,

An agent on my facebook list has been sending out the following and I just like to hear your comments on the following that he wrote...he's pitching some properties around CBD area obviously...i shall not quote the agent's name as i do not want to be perceived as promoting for them...while he made some interesting and audacious comments....i am not about to discount him but surely we should look at more numbers to read into this further? Comments anyone? Insights and Words of Wisdom?? pls from anyone...

A lot of people look at historical data of Singapore property prices to "time" the market for investment. It is often heard that we will never see Singapore property prices would never rise beyond a certain level because in historical data show that this is the highest price Singapore properties have experienced. It is often heard using historical data, we can determine once property prices reach a certain highest level, prices are expected to drop. How can this simple analysis be true?

We must understand that Singapore ten years ago is not the same with Singapore as of today, and next 10 year, Singapore will be not the same as of today. Singapore government has undertaken many drastic measure to transform Singapore into a lively and exciting city to attract the Rich and Famous of the world. We have see famous and rich people like Jet Lee and Gong Li invest and stay in Singapore as a result of the Singapore government's successful strategy.

The Singapore of the past used to be boring, sterile and unattractive to these Rich and Famous, or foreign talents. In the past, Singapore's stability alone is not enough to woo these Rich and Famous people to invest and stay in Singapore. My investor friends and I believe that the government is set to transform Singapore into lively and fun playground not just for the masses, but also for these Rich and Famous. The aim is to transform Singapore to become like Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, London, etc.

With High end Properties in London calling for $10,000psf to $15,000psf, what will happen to Singapore's property prices if more and more Rich and Famous coming to invest and stay in Singapore? Will Singapore properties breach its previous high, or like others say it will never breach its previous high and the prices will drop?
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: Singapore's psf to hit the likes of London?

Post by Dennis Ng »

sheiwah wrote:hi Dennis and all gurus out there,

An agent on my facebook list has been sending out the following and I just like to hear your comments on the following that he wrote...he's pitching some properties around CBD area obviously...i shall not quote the agent's name as i do not want to be perceived as promoting for them...while he made some interesting and audacious comments....i am not about to discount him but surely we should look at more numbers to read into this further? Comments anyone? Insights and Words of Wisdom?? pls from anyone...

A lot of people look at historical data of Singapore property prices to "time" the market for investment. It is often heard that we will never see Singapore property prices would never rise beyond a certain level because in historical data show that this is the highest price Singapore properties have experienced. It is often heard using historical data, we can determine once property prices reach a certain highest level, prices are expected to drop. How can this simple analysis be true?

We must understand that Singapore ten years ago is not the same with Singapore as of today, and next 10 year, Singapore will be not the same as of today. Singapore government has undertaken many drastic measure to transform Singapore into a lively and exciting city to attract the Rich and Famous of the world. We have see famous and rich people like Jet Lee and Gong Li invest and stay in Singapore as a result of the Singapore government's successful strategy.

The Singapore of the past used to be boring, sterile and unattractive to these Rich and Famous, or foreign talents. In the past, Singapore's stability alone is not enough to woo these Rich and Famous people to invest and stay in Singapore. My investor friends and I believe that the government is set to transform Singapore into lively and fun playground not just for the masses, but also for these Rich and Famous. The aim is to transform Singapore to become like Tokyo, Hong Kong, New York, London, etc.

With High end Properties in London calling for $10,000psf to $15,000psf, what will happen to Singapore's property prices if more and more Rich and Famous coming to invest and stay in Singapore? Will Singapore properties breach its previous high, or like others say it will never breach its previous high and the prices will drop?
Hi sheiwah,

yes, I agree that Singapore is already different, just that most Singaporeans do NOT realise it yet.

As mentioned, in 5 to 10 years' time, Singapore will have a 2-tier property market, this is something I posted on 1 April 2010 (what I posted is not a joke, but my analysis and views on future of Singapore Property Market).
Dennis Ng wrote:In Hong Kong, London, New York, Tokyo etc, all these major cities have a similar "phenomenon", that condos/properties "in the city" are at much higher prices than those in the suburbs, there exists a "2-tier market".

Why? Becos all Major Cities attract the very, very Rich and Wealthy. For them, they go for "prestige" and "in", they would gladly pay high prices for properties in the city.....actually, Singapore is starting to have this trend.

In the past, only District 9 (Orchard area) would command prices of S$3,000 psf, now it include District 1 and 2, (Marina, CBD), District 4 (Sentosa, Harbourfront)......I heard that Marina Bay Residences are going to be relaunched at S$2,500 to S$3,500 psf....

All 202 units of 76 Shenton sold out within 1 day at prices ranging from S$1,600 to S$2,600 psf on 25 March 2010 (Thursday). (I know and I saw with my own eyes, as I was there at the launch of 76 Shenton).

Altez, the latest Far East project is selling its "Loft" units on 30th floor for S$2,350 psf....please note that Loft has 35% extra space compared to Studio units, which means the price is closer to S$3,000 psf instead.....Altez has 62 floors, I really can't imagine at what prices they would sell those above 50th floor....

Far East has 2 remaining 2-bed room units on 45th Floor, and selling at S$2,500 psf....(I saw the units myself).

The suburbs mass market condos are mostly owned by Singaporeans for Home Purchase, and the "peak" prices is very near, as the "celing" will be determined by the income of Singaporeans......but for condos in District 1, 2, 9 and 10......they are mainly owned by foreigners...who might be very, very rich, eg. The Owner of India's Spice Group who bought the Penthouse unit at The Sail for S$15.5 million, or S$2,650 psf during the Global Financial Crisis in Sep 2008....

For such properties, in Hong Kong, price ranges from S$5,000 to S$10,000 psf.....so S$3,000 psf in Singapore is considered "cheap" (Value for Money)....

Singapore has not even seen the "arrival" of Big Spenders of China that have pushed Hong Kong's property prices to record high...

I'm not sure so far any Property Experts have really put forth what I'm sharing here....this is not research done by professors, but I would term it "Streetsmart Analysis". Truly, for such condos in eg. Orchard, I don't think the Singapore government really want to control or put a "Cap" on the price....since the "Target Market" is not the typical Singaporean, but the Rich and Wealthy from all over the world.

Below is extract of news of Purchase of condo by Spice Group Founder.

Dr Bhupendra Kumar Modi, global chairman and founder of Indian conglomerate Spice Corp, bought a whole-floor penthouse unit at The Sail @ Marina Bay for a cool $15.463 million last month.

The US$1.5 billion (S$2.2 billion) Spice Corp group makes cellphones and operates a chain of cellphone retail outlets and entertainment plazas in India.

Last month’s deal makes the 5,834 sq ft penthouse – atop the 63-storey second tower of The Sail – the most expensive in the 1,111-unit condo, though not in Singapore.

The price for the 99-year leasehold apartment works out to $2,650 per sq ft (psf). Next door, a bigger penthouse in the 99-year leasehold Marina Bay Residences was sold for $26.9 million, or $2,446 psf in late 2006.

In Singapore, the record price is $5,600 psf for a 53rd-storey private apartment in The Orchard Residences. This works out to $28.27 million for the 5,048 sq ft, 99-year leasehold unit.

On an absolute basis, a freehold apartment on the 19th storey of The Marq on Paterson Hill was sold for a whopping $31 million, but at a lower psf price of $5,100. Both deals were done during last year’s boom.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
sheiwah
Silver Forum Contributor

Thank you!

Post by sheiwah »

Nice write up!
sheiwah
Silver Forum Contributor

must watch video backing dennis's claim

Post by sheiwah »

http://www.reuters.com/news/video/story ... =163818894

“ Singapore emerges as the new destination for wealth,
with Asia Pacific's high net worth individuals drawn by
higher returns and the city's lifestyle makeover.