Health Screening

this is a forum set up to discuss everything about Medical Insurance in Singapore

Moderator: Dennis Ng

jfoo2
Platinum Forum Contributor

Health Screening

Post by jfoo2 »

Hi,

I was just wondering what happens usually if I goes for annual health screening and found that I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol or any other symptoms etc?

Does I need to inform my insurance company and how will it affect my private insurance medical plan (e.g Aviva plan 2) which I signed and got in 2 years ago?
Alina
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Alina »

Hi jfoo2,

If the policy has been incepted two years ago, there is no need to inform them since your application has been underwritten back then.
jfoo2

Post by jfoo2 »

Hi,

I am just wondering, not that I have those symptoms. Anyway my Aviva Plan 2 is under the 5 year moratorium and not full medical underwriting.

For e.g let's say if detected high cholesterol during health screening, and manage to lower it back through healthy lifestyle and diet thereafter back to normal levels, would it affect any insurance payout or upgrading of plans in future?

Could such cases be counted as per-existing medical illness and thus deny the coverage or whatever?
Alina
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Alina »

Hi jfoo2,

Believe that since your cholestrol has returned back to normal it should not be of a issue but this is an area which should be addressed by the company at the points of claims. Personally I find it is better to leave it at that.
jfoo2

Post by jfoo2 »

Hi Alina,

Thanks for replying to my queries. Very grateful for it.
woonty

Post by woonty »

Remember to buy all that you need (or to the max) before going for any health checkup
jfoo2

Post by jfoo2 »

Ya lor. Important man...never think of this before.
winstonteo
Silver Forum Contributor

Re: Health Screening

Post by winstonteo »

woonty wrote:Remember to buy all that you need (or to the max) before going for any health checkup
Health screening is just as important as having a medical insurance which "woonty" suggest to buy all we need before going for any health checkup.

No point having a good medical insurance coverage which we knows covers everything and ignore everything health related checkup

I strongly encourage everybody to go for health screening especially those of higher risk factor.

Regards.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Health screening is FREE (borned by the insurer, when you are categorised as higher risk group like over 40s, family medical history) when you buy medical insurance.
winstonteo wrote:
woonty wrote:Remember to buy all that you need (or to the max) before going for any health checkup
Health screening is just as important as having a medical insurance which "woonty" suggest to buy all we need before going for any health checkup.

No point having a good medical insurance coverage which we knows covers everything and ignore everything health related checkup

I strongly encourage everybody to go for health screening especially those of higher risk factor.

Regards.
lootster

Post by lootster »

candy_chia wrote:Health screening is FREE (borned by the insurer, when you are categorised as higher risk group like over 40s, family medical history) when you buy medical insurance.
winstonteo wrote:

Regards.
But sad to say...... It's also the exact reason why people refuse to buy cos they don't wish to go for health screening
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Agree that was the reason that initially deterred me from switching to a more cost-effective insurer because of the requirement to to undergo various medical examinations (both my parents are diabetics).

However, on second thought, I figured that there was no harm as the last thorough checkup was nearly a decade ago.
lootster wrote:
candy_chia wrote:Health screening is FREE (borned by the insurer, when you are categorised as higher risk group like over 40s, family medical history) when you buy medical insurance.
But sad to say...... It's also the exact reason why people refuse to buy cos they don't wish to go for health screening
Darren Lee
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Darren Lee »

Hi people,

Just a note, for the 5 insurers that offer the integrated private medical insurance (medishield upgrade) will NOT bear the cost of sending for medical checkups during application. Meaning if they require certain reports etc, the client will need to bear the cost of obtaining those reports. My view is that due to the thin margin, insurers are not willing to bear the cost.

The 5yrs Moratorium underwriting (UW) doesn't mean no UW. It simply means that Aviva will only UW upon admission of claim based on 5yrs trouble free period upon policy start date. This facilities turnover of application, as the can free up the UW dept capacity to take on other application, hence save cost.

Since its "recorded" in your history, within the 5yrs, based on my understanding of the principles, the 5yrs will restart based on the next time you are recorded healthy again. Personally, I do not like the uncertain nature :roll: of such UWing, but apparently it is a norm in other countries like UK.

So the best advice is to always get insured while you are healthy and get your love ones to do so too. Hope it brings clarity to this tread. :)

Regards,
Darren
Darren Lee