What happen to the last rally of stock market this time ?

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

jamestai
Investing Mentor

Post by jamestai »

Hi zipink,
but it appears to me that JamesTai is thinking that Market Cycle Investing also does NOT work anymore.
Hi Dennis Sifu,

Don't scare me leh. When I see your posting saying about me don't believe in market cycle investing does not work anymore, Question mark and Stars start spinning all over my head ;).

I go to ask Zipink which part of my posting may have cause such a misunderstanding. He think that maybe is the way I ask the questions to you in my first post and also when I suggest about short term trading in my previous post that may led you think that I don't believe in market cycle investing does not work anymore.

I am going to use what Auntie Lucy like to say "So embarassing". No lah Sifu, that is not what I mean. My stand and position is same as you that to be a millionaire like you by making money in stock, we have to apply the market cycle investing that you teach us.

What you trying to tell us now is that according to market cycle this is the time to raise more cash and get out of stock market. Before that alot of us believe that there will be a last rally in stock market before the big crash but unfortunately due to too many unfavorable news surface out of USA and Europe, this time last rally in stock may never happen as what you anticipate and that is in nobody control. Since the market may have already turn downtrend, then one should do something to avoid further losses rather than doing nothing. Upside is now less than the downside. One may lost 30% now if he/she get out, but if he don't do anything he may lost 70% when the market start to crash. So if we try to minimize our loss now by getting out early and after that when the market hit absolutely bottom, then according to market cycle investing, one should move your cash into stock and ride the wave to enjoy huge profit.

I totally agreed with Alvin that Trading is meant for professional and people who really know how to trade and the time to trade. Most important that person has to be in control in their emotion. It is not for everyone. And I don't encourage that. It is easier to apply market cycle investing than to do stock trading. What I say about trading in my previous is just some simple method to do it. Don't just follow blindly. Remember you can never beat a super computer that he now replacing human being to trade in stock.

Dennis Sifu can be a millionaire today is because he know the secret to it and he is unselfishly teaching as many people as he can so that we all can be financial free like him. For those people who don't know. 70% of his time is spend on conducting seminar at park mall. He use all his energy to teach people like us how to be financially free. Think about it why does he want to make such a huge sacrifice of his personal time which he can just spend with his family and friends.

Without knowing Dennis Sifu and learn from him, I will still be a financial idiot today.

James Tai
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi jamestai,

my apologies.

I'm so glad to read this posting of yours.

Why do I teach? I hope that my real life example of how an average person can become Millionaire by age 39 through investing can inspire and encourage more people to also learn how to invest and grow their money.

I like to start the monthly mentoring Sessions. Not sure who would like to volunteer to help in the first session? It would probably be on a Monday evening, after work.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
jamestai wrote:
Hi zipink,
but it appears to me that JamesTai is thinking that Market Cycle Investing also does NOT work anymore.
Hi Dennis Sifu,

Don't scare me leh. When I see your posting saying about me don't believe in market cycle investing does not work anymore, Question mark and Stars start spinning all over my head ;).

I go to ask Zipink which part of my posting may have cause such a misunderstanding. He think that maybe is the way I ask the questions to you in my first post and also when I suggest about short term trading in my previous post that may led you think that I don't believe in market cycle investing does not work anymore.

I am going to use what Auntie Lucy like to say "So embarassing". No lah Sifu, that is not what I mean. My stand and position is same as you that to be a millionaire like you by making money in stock, we have to apply the market cycle investing that you teach us.

What you trying to tell us now is that according to market cycle this is the time to raise more cash and get out of stock market. Before that alot of us believe that there will be a last rally in stock market before the big crash but unfortunately due to too many unfavorable news surface out of USA and Europe, this time last rally in stock may never happen as what you anticipate and that is in nobody control. Since the market may have already turn downtrend, then one should do something to avoid further losses rather than doing nothing. Upside is now less than the downside. One may lost 30% now if he/she get out, but if he don't do anything he may lost 70% when the market start to crash. So if we try to minimize our loss now by getting out early and after that when the market hit absolutely bottom, then according to market cycle investing, one should move your cash into stock and ride the wave to enjoy huge profit.

I totally agreed with Alvin that Trading is meant for professional and people who really know how to trade and the time to trade. Most important that person has to be in control in their emotion. It is not for everyone. And I don't encourage that. It is easier to apply market cycle investing than to do stock trading. What I say about trading in my previous is just some simple method to do it. Don't just follow blindly. Remember you can never beat a super computer that he now replacing human being to trade in stock.

Dennis Sifu can be a millionaire today is because he know the secret to it and he is unselfishly teaching as many people as he can so that we all can be financial free like him. For those people who don't know. 70% of his time is spend on conducting seminar at park mall. He use all his energy to teach people like us how to be financially free. Think about it why does he want to make such a huge sacrifice of his personal time which he can just spend with his family and friends.

Without knowing Dennis Sifu and learn from him, I will still be a financial idiot today.

James Tai
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
KIASU
Senior Forum Member

Post by KIASU »

Hi Dennis Sifu,

Would like to joined in your monthly mentoring Sessions.
Any requirement or we need to register ?

Thanks.
KS .
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

KIASU wrote:Hi Dennis Sifu,

Thanks.
KS .
Hi Kiasu,
you mean you want to volunteer to be mentor?

Once we have set the date and time for mentoring sessions, we will inform all seminar graduates via email. It'll be held once a month, probably on a specific day every month, so that anyone interested, can just register to attend. Probably will be held at our Park Mall seminar venue.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

What is the purpose of monthly mentoring sessions? Is it a regular meetup to reinforce your teachings to seminar graduates?
Dennis Ng wrote:
I like to start the monthly mentoring Sessions. Not sure who would like to volunteer to help in the first session? It would probably be on a Monday evening, after work.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Stradlinz
Investing Mentor

Post by Stradlinz »

Hi Dennis,

I think what James was trying to say in his 1st post is that now there's a possibility that many new graduates are doubting market cycle strategy as many of them who came in late into the market have seen their profits evaporated and some also having losses.. This is understandable to me as many of us still can't control our emotions in investing. I can bet many of us (including myself) didn't really ask ourselves "What if I'm wrong, will I be okay?" . For early grads we experience 2010 June corrections, however this time our emotions are tested to the limits. So I'm sure many grads have experience panic and emotional breakdown. I know James personally, and I'm sure he still 100% believe in market cycle strategies. Just that he might see an opportunity to do some short-term trading currently in the market.. which I think is worth looking considering the market fell too much too soon.

Now we know why Dennis keep repeating the fundamentals qs "what if I'm wrong will i be okay?" . At times it seems like a broken record as it has been repeated many many times.. When market in uptrend, we tend to forget to ask ourselves this question. Why? because we still not in control of our emotions fully. Now when it hits us, we know the reason why Dennis keep on reminding us and now we can appreciate the true essence of the question.

For those with losses, just keep your faith and don't give up. I always believe there is a reason for everything. Maybe 5-10 yrs down the road, we may discover why we met Dennis. Why we experience this multiple corrections in 2011 and subject to losses. Why our patience is tested to the limits now. Why market cycle do not seem to work in 2011.. Maybe it's part of our character building. Maybe this is what we have to go thru to attain rich/successful mindset. Maybe this is an event to remind us that market is not within our control, so in the future when we have much bigger wealth we are ready for the challenge and don't fall for the same mistake again.. Lastly when we believe, we will achieve. It's important to be able to stand up again when we fall down.. Cheers

Dennis Ng wrote:Hi jamestai,

my apologies.

I'm so glad to read this posting of yours.

Why do I teach? I hope that my real life example of how an average person can become Millionaire by age 39 through investing can inspire and encourage more people to also learn how to invest and grow their money.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
jamestai wrote:
Hi zipink,
Hi Dennis Sifu,

James Tai
Regards,
William Liong
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

I believe market cycle strategy works as I had been burnt in a few early downturn. Although I managed to pickup stocks at low price but sold too early, which is "short-term trading".

Bought kepcorp at $4.17 to $4.24 in 2009 but sold for quick profit of a few hundred bucks. If sold at today shares price of $9.22, each lot will translate to nearly $5k profit. Regret not attending his seminar early!

I agree James' suggestion of short term trading in current volatile shares market is acceptable to cut loss incurred rather than wait till pickup Great Stock Sales when market bottoms.
Stradlinz wrote:Hi Dennis,

I know James personally, and I'm sure he still 100% believe in market cycle strategies. Just that he might see an opportunity to do some short-term trading currently in the market.. which I think is worth looking considering the market fell too much too soon.

Maybe 5-10 yrs down the road, we may discover why we met Dennis. Why we experience this multiple corrections in 2011 and subject to losses. Why our patience is tested to the limits now. Why market cycle do not seem to work in 2011.

Lastly when we believe, we will achieve. It's important to be able to stand up again when we fall down.. Cheers

KIASU
Senior Forum Member

Post by KIASU »

Hi Dennis sifu,

Hi Kiasu,

I'am a newbie here and still learning from you and the rest of the forummer.
May not qualify to be a mentor, but giving a chance will definitely volunteer to be mentor .
Of course after coaching and mentoring by sifu and the rest of the Senior and Mentor here.

Will definitely attend the mentoring session to get to know the program better.

Regards,
KS.
Battleship
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by Battleship »

Hi Dennis,

I would like to volunteer on the monthly mentoring session if you deem that it is appropriate. I'm just worried that I'm not good enough at this point of time.
Dennis Ng wrote:
KIASU wrote:Hi Dennis Sifu,

Thanks.
KS .
Hi Kiasu,

Once we have set the date and time for mentoring sessions, we will inform all seminar graduates via email. It'll be held once a month, probably on a specific day every month, so that anyone interested, can just register to attend. Probably will be held at our Park Mall seminar venue.
Cheers!
Battleship
barjc8283
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by barjc8283 »

Hi Si Fu,
I am interested also. i believe in you. share and learn at the same time!!!!
even i have little knowledge
zipink
Investing Mentor

Post by zipink »

I don't mind to help out too.
http://www.alexyeo.com - Ramblings of an Internet marketer and His Life
Ms Tan
Investing Mentor

Post by Ms Tan »

Thank you James for starting this trend as this question is in the mind of many new graduates. We attended July sessions in Stocks Seminar and Aug sessions in Millionaire Seminar and have heard some graduates didn't believe there would be a last rally for 3rd-liner stocks and didn't buy any stocks in July, those who have entered the market have kept very quiet ...

So it is a good discussion here to clarify what has happened, how to monitor and determine our own investment decision. We are definitely sincere students who want to learn how to gain in stock market and answerable to own decision.

Dennis Sifu, I will greatly appreciate if you could share more on the market cycle knowledge, other than 50/200 MA, what do you think of 120 years and 6 years cycle? When I research on Market Cycle, I found this Analyst Clif Droke has interesting articles on this topic.

http://www.greenfaucet.com/more-exclusi ... ser_id=509
specifically on:

HOW TO POSITION YOURSELF FOR THE KRESS CYCLE PEAK - http://www.greenfaucet.com/the-market/h ... peak/95195

and the prior article on ECONOMISTS IN DENIAL - http://www.greenfaucet.com/economy/econ ... nial/65450

I hope it is not just my emotional hope but there is historical and research truth in the market cycle that 2011 peak is near (not over yet), and market bottom is in 2014.

We are still holding on to our recent Singapore Stock purchase with plan to sell all out in Sep - Oct gradually. I was thinking of selling the US stock (C and SLV) in 2012 when there's rally with US Election but worry about cycle peak would be over then. Hope to hear your comment on this, thank you.

BTW, this Forum is fantastic, I now have the habit of reading it everyday especially before I go to bed, very informative and generous sharing from all of you. Thank you!

Ms Tan
yhendra
Investing Mentor

Post by yhendra »

Hi All,

I hope this story will be serve as reminder on how the stock market "works". In fact it also "works" in any investment vehicles.
yhendra wrote:I'd like to re-post this story, and hopefully during the last rally before crisis come everybody in this forum knows what to do...

From the story, you should have a better understanding of how the stock market works - the scheme, the higher prices, the greed, the no stock, the "timely announcement", etc. Think of the monkey as the stock, and you will get the meaning of this story!!!
Think the process happening in this story as demand & supply or accumulation & distribution.

Here is the story, extracted from someone named "Imran":-

Once upon a time in a village in India, a man appeared and announced to the villagers that he would buy monkeys at $10 each.

The villagers, seeing that there were many monkeys around, went into the forest and started catching them. The man very gentlemanly bought thousands of monkeys at $10 each,but as supply started to diminish, the villagers slowed down and eventually stopped their efforts.

The man then announced that he would now buy at $20. This renewed the energy and efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. Soon the supply diminished even further, and people started going back to their farms.

The offer was then increased to $25 each, but the supply of monkeys became so little that it was a almost a miracle to even spot a monkey, let alone catch one.

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at $50 ! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would transact on his behalf.

In the absence of the man, the assistant assembled the villagers and told them : " Look at all these monkeys in the big cages that the man has collected. I will sell them to you at $35 each, and when the man returns from the city, you can in turn sell them to him at $50 each. Deal or no deal ? "

The excited villagers, smelling a quick-profit killer opportunity, immediately rounded up all their savings and bought all the monkeys. Then they never saw the man nor his assistant again, and there were just monkeys everywhere!
-End-
Additionally, in summary investment is ALL about ACCUMULATION and DISTRIBUTION or Buy LOW and sell HIGH.

Some of you may heard OR may have not heard at all that the market (be it stock market or property market) UP or DOWN is driven by the GREED and FEAR.

GREED = to make quick profit thinking with this we can be rich in the bull market... where we actually buy from people who distribute their stocks along the way at the top of the market....
FEAR = fear of loosing money, once we are caught in this situation we fail to take action until we are depressed and actually we sell our stock to people who accumulate it...!!

So...

Accumulation = Buy Low
This is where majority of average investors at their MOST FEARFUL moment... panic, capitulated, desponded, depressed.

Distribution = Sell High
This is where majority of average investors are mostly GREEDY to make quick profit, to be rich quickly, they are excited, thrilled...

See these two pictures, which I hope can be used as a reflection and reference:

The formula that has been given, (I add my own TA :-)), for the investment strategy:
(FA + TA + CSA) + TA = (Fundemental Analysis + Technical Analysis + Common Sense Analysis) + Taking Action.

WHAT to Buy? Use FA + CSA
WHEN to Buy? Use TA + CSA
WHEN to Sell? Use TA + CSA
All of these must be back-up by taking action!!!

On another important lesson learn I have; some of you may know "80/20 rules". Read it here if you do not know.

If we apply this rule in the stock market, it may go like this:
Only 20% of the participants (savvy investors, expert, big institutions) make the money in the stock market, where 80% of the money is supplied by average investors (like us).

Now, I don't want to be in the 80% position anymore. I want to move to the 20% position.
And I really hope all of you will not be disheartened by the recent stock market crash....
Try to build back your confident level, and together with the sharing in this forum we can all be prepared and benefit from the up-coming crisis... we all can all move to be in the 20% position.

In 2003, I made BIG lost... in 2007... I made another BIG lost... In total, which I would not be shy to declare here: I made lost in total about $50K.
Maybe for some of you this amount is big, but for others maybe small.... It doesn't matter.
It's all relative....

Anyway, this time round with all of the above knowledge PLUS knowledge shared by Dennis...
in total I made just a little bit... because like most of you... I was also caught of guard from the sudden stock market crash.... almost all the profit wipe out after I realized the losses, by selling about 90% of the stock I own, left only one stock that hopefully still giving me dividend along the way although smaller...

As you all may have this wish, I also wish I attended Dennis seminar much earlier to learn all the knowledge earlier in 2009, so I could ride on the up-trend. But... arrghh... I just managed to attend his stock & property seminars in late 2010 (Sep/Oct).
Just a side notes that actually I have learned a lot more from him in terms of personal development... among other things: CBA (Conceive, Believe, Achieve), the law of attraction, the book "The Master Plan to Success" by Napoleon Hill, "What is Money? What is Wealth?"

Another note, do I blame him if the last train, that he has been sharing, never come?
Nope. Like dragonhart2 mentioned in his posting (read it here) Dennis is NOT God. He just 'predict' based on the best knowledge he has, the best method that works, that has made him millionaire.
We all have brain to think and process information... we all have the power to choose to take action or not to take action....

If you drive a car, you know that you need to go to school to learn to drive.
The trainer will teach you all the road signs, regulations, driving on the circuit training, on the road with the trainer...
BUT, at the end of the day... you need to have more experience on the road BY YOURSELF... NOT with the trainer.... You must be able to handle all your emotion during driving on the highway... taken over by another driver, facing a traffic jam, facing an errant driver, etc.

Likewise, Dennis has trained us with the required knowledge how to be a millionaire by investment in stock market and property.
At the end of the day we all need experience on the road... handle our emotion during the rough time, facing losses... etc.

When you hit an accident while you are driving, you can swear and curse that you will not be driving anymore... Or you learn the lesson and still have the courage to drive again....
Likewise, in investment you hit an accident, making losses. You can swear and curse that you will not touch the stock market ever again... Or you learn the lesson and still have the courage to make another investment.

BTW, I am now 42+ already, same age like Dennis.
But I AM OPTIMISTIC that I can be a millionaire within another 5 to 10 years time...
First mistake in 2003, second mistake in 2007. I will not repeat the third time the mistakes....

For myself, personally, I value the process that I have been going through, rather than the result. Because, I know that the result will come when I have the right mindset, positive thinking, knowledge, like-minded people around me...

I hope I have summarized the above concepts and my sharing in the most comprehensive manners. I also hope this posting useful for all of you.
Cheers!
Hendra
Like to share and give opinions.
However, please do your own homework!
You have been given the tools and the knowledge, try to fish yourself, so you will never be hungry again....
---
RTW (Ride The Wave) http://www.facebook.com/RTWLearningLab
Little Boy

Post by Little Boy »

Thank You Hendra and also the rest who share their personal experience and thoughts here.
I believe the sharing have help many of us to calm down during the last few weeks. I was also panicking until I saw what Dennis and some of you share here. This make me able to think rationally and have a proper plan to position myself again.

I have bought stocks that tripled in late 2008(by luck) and also lost around 20% currently with some of my recent purchase(larger amount than in 2008 so just making a little now) believing the last rally will come. It is my own decision to take the risk(greed) even though knowing we are at the late stage of the bull market. There are no one or markets to blame but myself. Never regretted this as I have learn something out of this experience that will prevent it from repeating again.

I started to understand, investing just as other things in life will not show us the results right away. Losing money cannot be avoided. Failures and obstacles are there to help us get closer to our goals. The important thing is to keep believing and keep trying. Unless we are going to stop learning and trying, there no need to be too concern of what we are going through today. We will be going through many more ups and downs in life.
yhendra
Investing Mentor

Post by yhendra »

Little Boy wrote:Thank You Hendra and also the rest who share their personal experience and thoughts here.
I believe the sharing have help many of us to calm down during the last few weeks. I was also panicking until I saw what Dennis and some of you share here. This make me able to think rationally and have a proper plan to position myself again.

I have bought stocks that tripled in late 2008(by luck) and also lost around 20% currently with some of my recent purchase(larger amount than in 2008 so just making a little now) believing the last rally will come. It is my own decision to take the risk(greed) even though knowing we are at the late stage of the bull market. There are no one or markets to blame but myself. Never regretted this as I have learn something out of this experience that will prevent it from repeating again.

I started to understand, investing just as other things in life will not show us the results right away. Losing money cannot be avoided. Failures and obstacles are there to help us get closer to our goals. The important thing is to keep believing and keep trying. Unless we are going to stop learning and trying, there no need to be too concern of what we are going through today. We will be going through many more ups and downs in life.
Hi Little Boy, (I'm sure you are not that Little ;-))

That's great to read your posting! And I like your spirit!

It's just like driving...
Everyday, I drive from my home to my office. I remember first time when I go from my home to office and back home again, I didn't know what to expect along the way...
Sometimes, I met bad traffic jam, errant drivers or bikers, accident, even stop by a police because I was using my mobile while driving when I was not supposed to! I didn't know how long it will take to reach office or home.

But nowadays, my driving become "auto-pilot", I know how to maneuver if I happen to met an errant driver. I know how to get short-cuts when I foresee there is a traffic jam ahead of me.
I now know that now I must put my mobile on a mobile holder in the car when driving.
Sometime... gut feel works in certain situation like you feel that a car is going to taking you over and almost hit you and you can avoid it... I know where you can speed and where you must slow down. I know where to avoid being caught by speed camera. Etc. etc.

All of these experience is pretty similar to investing... experience is required.

But somehow you know what... the experience of loosing some of your money is "more terrifying" than the experience of almost loosing your life... Believe me! I've almost been there... People cut you off, or I cut people lanes... which almost causing an accident.... No fear!

But when I was loosing money... I was freezing, fearful... do not know what to do... etc.
Cheers!
Hendra
Like to share and give opinions.
However, please do your own homework!
You have been given the tools and the knowledge, try to fish yourself, so you will never be hungry again....
---
RTW (Ride The Wave) http://www.facebook.com/RTWLearningLab