Novices please start from here

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

seeliaosaw

Novices please start from here

Post by seeliaosaw »

Dear all,

After two days sessions of secrets of making money from stocks, I believed that there is still so much to learn.
I cannot remember most of the things but only some of the important things Dennis had thought.
It is in the seminar notes. But all those extra things, i guess no one can remember all of them except the experts.

For all who has just beginning to swim in the big sea of stock market. Come here and start all over again.
People who had loose money in the stock market. People who are slow learner. People who had forgotten where to start fishing.
You know how to fish. But where is the pond to try?

Thanks for Jason for the reply.

From a novice point of view, many do not even dare to post anything. Without a chance to start fishing, we tend to forget.

Personally, I think there are still many us Novices out there.

First read this ... 股市何去何从? Stock Market, where are we now?
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... =17&t=2106

Next, please read Discussing Specific Stocks
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... m.php?f=14

Before you start to ask questions, please do your home work!
Please do you Financial Analyst, PE and type of company.

If any one can remember anything please contribute.
dragonhart2 wrote:hi,

Dennis do not advocate giving tips.....he share with us how he select stocks, when he decides to enter, when he decides to exit whether profit or loss....pls read and re-read the notes for '"Secrets to making money in stocks"....now u need to look for fish yourself....then i would encourage u to start a new thread to share what fish u are looking at, what bait and hook size u want to use...etc..etc....Then we will comment....This is how Dennis wants it done...

i think u can start by reading the old threads under "discussing specific stocks" and do some "dry" swimming. now, seems like a lot of sharks in the water...better wait for the sharks to finish eating and go get wet...

cheers,
jason.
seeliaosaw wrote:Hi,

some one has to take ownership of this forum, else it will be difficult to move forward.
it will be very challenging for all of us. i presume.

as for stocks, i just didn't know where to start putting in the money as the market is so unstable.

i hope there are some topic for novices. i can see that you are all experts.

no matter what there must be something to start the ball rolling!

Regards
Sam
seowyh
Senior Forum Member

Re: Novices please start from here

Post by seowyh »

Thanks for starting this thread.

Before engaging in investing to grow your golden eggs, it is important to protect your most valuable asset which is yourself.

Dennis advocated some important insurances as follows:
1) Death - sufficient to cover the living expenses of your dependents till they can earn income on their own. Mortgage loan for own stay should be covered too.
2) H&S - Make sure the plan is as charged without proration
3) Disability income - Most people don't have this (check out personal insurance thread on it)
4) Critical illness - sufficient to cover at least one year of expenses in case such illness strikes.

Make sure the downside risks have been limited before you charge forward to invest.
dragonhart2
Investing Mentor

Post by dragonhart2 »

hi seeliaosaw and Seow,

thank you for contributing!!! i am sure the newbies will benefit fr your postings....save them some troubles to dig the old threads.

feel free to post questions(whose answers are not found in the notes...else pls read and re-read the notes....) on the notes too if u have doubts.

this forum is a follow-up to the seminars, hence we try to value add by not repeating what's found in the notes.....However, feel free to practise what u learnt e.g by analysing the financial ratios of some companies and post it here( under "discussing specific stocks" sub forum).

regards,
jason.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

For the Monthly Investing Mentoring Session, search under the following headings :

Board index ‹ Technical Analysis and Chart

Board index ‹ Discussing Specific Stocks

Board index ‹ 中文

By the way, the next IM sesssion will be conducted by Alvin on 13 Aug, 2012.
[color=#0000FF][b]alvin[/b][/color] wrote:Dear fellow graduates, it is heartening to see most us want the forum to continue.
Yew Kin has decided the monthly mentoring sessions will continue.
I will be conducting the next session on 13 Aug 12, Mon.
More details will be released soon.
Keep in touch!
weepangang
Senior Forum Member

Post by weepangang »

Dear all,

This is certainly a great thread to start with. To be honestly confessing to all. I myself had been a quiet reader of this forum for sometime and has not contributed much which I felt guilty and ashamed of my inaction to contribute.

With this thread started, I feel greater direction moving forward and will make time to learn, unlearn and relearn from scratch again of what Dennis has left behind.

I'm indeed grateful to all for making this happen and I look forward to contribute in this forum.

Thank you all once again for starting this thread. Thank you all.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

The Master Plan to Success (extracts of Napoleon's interview with Andrew Carnegie) strongly recommended by Dennis is located under

Board index ‹ All about Personal Development
under the topic, The Best Book on Personal Development and Success is this.
Mystique
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Mystique »

Hi moderators,

can we make this a sticky for easy access?

Thank you.
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Do you mean move to

Board index ‹ All about Investing under Announcements category

instead of Topics category?
Mystique wrote:Hi moderators,

can we make this a sticky for easy access?

Thank you.
Mystique
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Mystique »

yup. Easier for us novices to locate. Sometimes have to scrutinize to search for specific thread. :D
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Free copies of Books and vcds are available for collection either at Wealth Direction office at Parkmall office during Mentoring session or 192 Waterloo Street, Skyline Building #06-09.

Board index ‹ All about Personal Development under Announcements category - 好书免费供课程毕业生领取

Dennis Ng wrote:Hi Candy,
yes, the Good News is we have moved some copies to Park Mall office. So do ask the staff in charge for the VCDs and books, as they might not put them on display.

So seminar graduates, please feel free to get these free books and VCDs at Wealth Directions office at Park Mall office as well.
candy_chia wrote:Hi Dennis,
Wonder whether it is possible to collect the books or vcd at Parkmall office during mentoring session on 9 April?
Dennis Ng wrote:我想与大家分享一些好书与VCD。你们(课程毕业生)若想要,随时欢迎(星期一至星期五)早上11点至下午5点可到(四马路观音庙旁)192 Waterloo Street, Skyline Building #06-09 (S187966) 向 Roselin或Jane领取, 免费结缘。

包括:
1. 弟子规(双语版)书
2. 弟子规 (卡通VCD)华语
3. 了凡的故事(21集电视剧)- 非常精彩好看
4. 念力的秘密(VCD)
5. 蔡礼旭“幸福人生18 讲”书解释弟子规 – 非常好读
6. 蔡礼旭“大学演讲录”书
7. 静思语(双语版)- 每人可领取最多10本

愿与大家共勉之

吴加万
Mystique
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by Mystique »

There are some stocks that are classified under the category- Construction & Properties. I understand that for properties stocks, NAV is a must look out for indicator. How about stocks that fall under both categories such as Wing Tai, Metro Holdings etc?
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Topics: How to invest in ETF and Indices search under:

Board index ‹ All about Investing

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... f=5&t=2718
dvortex
Gold Forum Contributor

Post by dvortex »

Hi Mystique,

In cases where a company's nature of business is something of everything (diversified), in my view, most importantly 2 questions -bulk of income is coming from which business and what is the core business.

I guess by now, most people would be aware of F&N deal that went through last friday with heineken for APB(Asia Pacific Breweries) for $5 billion. What was F&N involved in? They were doing beverage ie 100plus, breweries ie Tiger beer (jointly brewed with Heineken in late 1930s i think), Bintang beer (nice smoother beer compared with tiger -this is a personal view :) ) and Anchor.

Do you know they are also into publishing business and also Properties -Commercial (Fraser Centerpoint and Fraser Commercial Trust) and residential (8ight Courtyard in Yishun was a joint development with Far East) -All these are publicly available information.

In summary, personally i would see what is the core business and where bulk of income is coming from, since this will determine in a big way of the growth story of a company.

On a lighter note, guess who is the chairman of F&N? :mrgreen:

Mystique wrote:There are some stocks that are classified under the category- Construction & Properties. I understand that for properties stocks, NAV is a must look out for indicator. How about stocks that fall under both categories such as Wing Tai, Metro Holdings etc?
serenecsc
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by serenecsc »

Hi, i was invited to a investment talk about xxxxxxxx investment.
http://www.asiaplantationsingapore.com/ ... tment.html

Would like to check whether have anyone came across such investment before?
dragonhart2
Investing Mentor

Post by dragonhart2 »

hi,

NO...better stay away from alternative investments with no track records to show.....

Here, we learn about stocks and property investment, etc....Enough to make $$$$ liao..........why would u want to invest in Wood of Gods???? sounds fishy man....pls alert everyone, before someone becomes a victim.

Don't even go and listen...got pressure, hard-sell tactics...

cheers,
jason.
serenecsc wrote:Hi, i was invited to a investment talk about xxxxxxxx investment.
http://www.asiaplantationsingapore.com/ ... tment.html

Would like to check whether have anyone came across such investment before?