What is the Difference between Money and Wealth?

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

ilovecck
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by ilovecck »

JIMMYKKL wrote:
This is what I often tell my friends, but sadly most of the time their answer is always "but the world is like that, so just live like that lah, why think so much?"
hi, juz "kaypoh" a bit here.

so start changing "you" first lor.

then plus one, plus two, plus three............. dun bother how long, it will become many many later on....

dennis also from 1.6 to 16 to 160 to 1600 (dunno when yet but should be there, haha)
yah, thats whats i,m going to do, last time talk only but nothing to back up. Now I usually just try to avoid saying anything if I have nothing better to say.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

ilovecck wrote:
This is what I often tell my friends, but sadly most of the time their answer is always "but the world is like that, so just live like that lah, why think so much?"
Hi ilovecck,

why think so much?

Sure, do nothing, then Earth will head towards destruction, it'll be just a matter of years, your friends need to wake up before it's too late.

Most people live an "unconscious" life.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Dennis Ng wrote:
The World is heading in the Wrong direction, becoming more and more Selfish, harming the environment and nature and fellow human beings for the sake of Making More Money (becos of Greed).

If human beings do NOT awaken IN TIME, earth will head towards destruction
. It is clear for all to see, unless one chooses NOT to see this Truth.

Where can it start? Look at the person in the Mirror. It starts from that person.
I hope ALL 2,500 of my seminar graduates can change and apply the Real Formula for Wealth, spread this message to as many people as possible, there is NO copyright on Truth, copy is Right, you can copy and paste this message and share with as many people as possible.

With internet and social media, changing the World is NOT an illusion or far-fetch, it can be done, by each of us, just doing our part.

I am doing my part daily. (Do you realise that?) This has NOW become my full-time Focus and Committment. Nobody ask me to do this, it is just something I know I can do and I just do it.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
danielcheng
Investing Mentor

Post by danielcheng »

One way is to learn to be contented and control our desire for the material stuffs. Greed, desire, fame & fortune, relentless growth, marketing bombardment etc... spurs & glorifies conspicuous consumption.

If we can't even do it ourselves first, don't talk about convincing others. Yes, thats you & me, the man in the mirror.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

What is True Wealth, Li Ka Shing shares his take on this.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng

李嘉诚:真财富存在于内心
2011-1-11 16:23:52 作者: admin 查看次数: 324 评论数: 0
QQ空间 新浪微博 开心网 人人网 更多...
 香港富豪李嘉诚日前在接受央视《面对面》节目专访时坦言,衡量财富的准则,在于“内心的富贵”。他认为,真正的富贵是要懂得用自己得来的金钱,对社会尽一点义务和责任。

香港消息 有人以“富可敌国”来形容“超人”李嘉诚,但对李嘉诚而言,生命的丰盈并不仅在于金钱的多少。

“其实有不少人富而不贵”

李嘉诚直言:“富贵两个字,不是连在一起的。这句话可能得罪了人,但是其实有不少人富而不贵。”他认为,真正的富贵是要懂得用自己得来的金钱,尽一点义务和责任。

李嘉诚引用中国哲学家的观念来加以说明:“贵为天子,未必是贵;但是,贱如匹夫,不为贱也。关键是看你的一生所做的事,所讲的话,怎样对人对事。这个是我自己领悟出来的。”他笑称,若自己能够在这个世界上,对其他需要帮助的人有所贡献,这便是内心的财富。“这个才是真财富,因为金钱的财富,你今天可能涨了,身价高很多,明天掉下去,可能一夜之间,减少一半,这种例子有的是。但只有你做些让世人得益的事,这就是真财富,任何人都拿不走。”

李嘉诚说到自己人生中的两个关键时刻:“一个是我12岁的时候,一个天真、充满幻想的小孩子跑到香港,见到另外一个世界,不是我所希望的世界,令我转眼之间就变为成年,非常努力,不怕辛苦,充满责任感,这个是第一个关;第二个关应该是我二十七八岁的时候,那个时候,开始离开贫穷。可以说以后都不需要做事了,可以退休了,一生所需的花费都已经足够了。”但也就在这个时刻,他骤然发现即使财富一直增加,却没有什么特别快乐的地方。由此他领悟出,当一个人在这个世上,具备了条件,便应该对社会多一点关怀,这是义务,也是责任。

做公益不惜花费时间精力

捐钱容易,亲力亲为地做则需要耗费极大精力,然而李嘉诚乐此不疲:“几十年来,有时我是日以继夜在做,一天工作十六七个小时。现在大概有最少30%的时间是在做公益。”推己及人,他期望凝聚社会力量:“我自己的力量毕竟非常小,希望多一点人跟我想法差不多,甚至比我更好,那么我们这个社会的进步才大。”他更称,“助人自助”,为受助人提供融入社会的机会和服务,重建信心,也非常重要。“我们都是平常人,我们如果能够改变人家一生的命运,你说多值得。”

至于“名声”,他却毫不重视:“如果有人可以跟我一起去做到最好,我出钱,他出名,我在后面,都可以。甚至可以说,如果能够帮助很多很多人的话,在医疗、在教育方面,你叫我给他叩头都可以。”

李嘉诚还说:“其实我这个人非常简单,我如果再有一生的话,我还是走这条路。”

痛心的往事令他热心奉献医教

分析李嘉诚基金会的捐助项目,不难发现教育、医疗是重中之重。这与他幼年的痛苦经历有关。读书是李嘉诚不可割舍的牵挂和爱好,但他幼时无法接受正规教育,令他至今引以为憾。这个遗憾,让他在有能力后,对教育事业投入了无限关注。就个人而言,即使在最困难、最繁忙时,他也一直尽量多读些书,尽量“抢回”多一点学问。李嘉诚还透露,二战时日本人占领香港,妈妈带着弟弟、妹妹回家乡去,他跟爸爸两个人留在香港。“但是每天晚上都听到爸爸咳嗽……心里面难过……”医药不足加上经济困难,使父亲在半年后与世长辞。李嘉诚谈到此处,流露出哀伤神情。这段痛苦经历让他自小许下愿望:“如果有一天,我的事业有大发展,环境有大改变,那一定要牢牢记住,教育、医疗都是最重要的。”

加倍爱护“第三个儿子”

基于取诸社会,还诸社会的理念,李嘉诚近年来倾注更多的精力在公益事业上,更视一手创立的李嘉诚基金会为心中的“第三个儿子”:“我都告诉我的儿子,这个跟家庭(没有关系),基金会的董事,也不会从这个基金会得到一个铜板的便宜,没有。”

李嘉诚基金会成立于1980年,主要在教育、医疗、文化、公益事业上进行有系统的资助。这是他的“第三个儿子”,自然得到他的加倍爱护:“有一个晚上,(我)无端端想起,对这个基金会每年都投入,它不就一年年大起来了吗?但是,世事难料,你坐飞机也可能出意外,你骤然之间有个疾病,也可以离开这个世界。”骤然而来的思潮让李嘉诚辗转反侧:“快天亮的时候,我说傻瓜,为什么要这么艰难?你有这么多不同的投资、不同的事业,你从这些投资中拿出一部分,给了(基金会),当你有第三个孩子就行了呀!”言及此,他开怀大笑:“如果我生多一个孩子,无论男的、女的,也一样(会给他资产)。你也希望他有事业,也希望他有一个基础,那么,你当基金会是你的孩子就行了。”

为了基金会的持续运作,他定下规则:“基金会现有的资产和它增长的利息,都是一直不用的,今年它用多少,捐多少,我是一年内就还给它……这个基金会假如今年做10个亿,我加10个亿给它。”这些年来,基金会已捐出和承诺捐出的款项达到约76亿港元。
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
racoon12
Platinum Forum Contributor

Re: What is the Difference between Money and Wealth?

Post by racoon12 »

SOS message:

Hi All
"This forum will discontinue unless 30 participate to Give" http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... =16&t=2690

please support by doing 3 charity work: and report in on the above forum :D :)

1. do a donation
2. tell them about this forum information able to enlightened them on crisis preparation
3. teach kids or children to be good by sharing what they have on their hands
4. Tell them about positive debts & negative debt difference
AdrianChua
Gold Forum Contributor

Re: What is the Difference between Money and Wealth?

Post by AdrianChua »

A great article I found from the website. http://www.notepassion.com/Articles/NP-BN-FNS.html
Photos are available on the site.

The first known banknotes of Singapore, then part of the Straits Settlements, were issued in 1861 by the Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China. They were printed by W.W. Sprague and Co. London. The first issue can be identified by the denomination being written in full in two panels at the top left and right on the note. Later issues, of 1878, show the panel denominations as figures and also have “Singapore” in the bottom margin. The later notes were printed by Waterlow and Son.

All these early Singapore notes are extremely rare, the total of the first issue comprising only $80,000. Five denominations were prepared but the $500 was never in fact issued, though it exists in proof form. Only 100 notes of the $100 were issued, and 300 of the $50. The lower denominations comprised the $5 with a printing of 6,000 and the $10 with a printing of 2500.

But paper money was needed in Singapore long before the first formal issue, it being an important trading centre together with Malacca and Penang on the Malay peninsula. The colony was united under one government as a presidency of India in 1826 and in 1830 was incorporated under Bengal.

It came under direct British control in 1867 and in 1886 Christmas Island, Labuan and Cocos Island joined the colony. From 1941 to 1945 Singapore was occupied by Japanese armed forces. After the war the Straits Settlements were disbanded and Singapore became a separate Crown Colony until it joined the newly consitituted federation of Malaysia in 1963, leaving it in 1965 to become an independent republic.

The importance of Singapore as a trading centre started in the 14th Century but its modern history began when Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles established the town of Singapore in 1819 while acting as an agent for the British East India Company.

In the middle of the 19th Century, the Chartered Bank of India, Australia and China was spreading its influence throughout the area. An early charter had allowed the bank to open branches, and issue notes, in India, Australia and China but until 1861, when a supplement charter was obtained to open a branch in Singapore, its foodhold in Singapore was that of an Agency. This meant it did not have authority to issue banknotes.

By 1859 the need for paper money was becoming a major problem and the agent, David Duff, found a way to issue “banknotes”. He had on hand a stock of Post Bills payable three days after sight. Together with the accountant, Mr. C.S. Sherwood, he issued these Post Bills to himself or the accountant and “Accepted” them as Agent. The Post Bills were then able to circulate locally and perform the function of a banknote.

In all, six issues of Post Bills for use as banknotes were made : March 1, August 1 and December 1, 1859 ; April 2, July 1 and August 27, 1860. The following year they were replaced by normal banknotes.

Some of these Post Bill notes bear various chop-marks and signatures on the reverse showing the use from hand to hand. But many of them only bear the signature of the agent or accountant and were passed from hand to hand without the need to transfer by signature.

Records are incomplete but it is known that about $93,500 were issued and the known issues are : $5 – 300, $50 – 500, $100 – 500. It is thought about 200 $10 were issued and 75 $500.

The very first issue was made on March 1, 1859. Shortly, after that the Agent, David Duff, was in trouble with his firm. He lent a local dignitary a very large sum of money, far in excess of his authority to lend, and as a result he was dismissed. Mr. C.S. Sherwood was appointed Agent and carried on the practice of issuing Post Bills for use as currency, with a new accountant, Mr. Anderson.

These early Post Bills are therefore of great historical important in that they are the first paper money used as banknotes in Singapore.
Adrian Chua

Twitter: @adrianchua9
Facebook: adrian.xplore

Join our facebook group to learn tricks and tips on iPhone/iPad/Mac, "iPhone/iPad/Mac users in SG"