Forming a Book Review Group and Monthly Review Session?

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Forming a Book Review Group and Monthly Review Session?

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi all,

I have an idea and suggestion. Anyone for this idea?

1. we have a once a month Book Review and Sharing session conducted by one of our seminar graduates (on a voluntary basis), share for about 1 hour what the book teaches and then we have just an informal discussion open to the floor. On a weekday night, eg. every 1st Monday of the month. (Currently, we have Investing Mentoring Session on every 2nd Monday of the month).

2. MasterYourFinance.com Pte Ltd to encourage and support this initiative, we will buy 1 book each month, which will be given as a gift to the person who is willing to read the book and conduct the book review and sharing session.

3. the event will be held at Wealth Directions seminar venue at Park Mall (or some other suitable venue).

If all of you think this is a good idea then I hope some seminar graduates can reply to this discussion thread to indicate your wish to conduct the sharing session.

The first book I think of kick-starting is "The Master Plan to Success" by Napoleon Hill. This book, in my opinion is the Best book on Success every written and worst case scenario, I can do the sharing, just to kick-start this initiative.

http://www.masteryourfinance.com/web/in ... &Itemid=35
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
racoon12
Platinum Forum Contributor

Re: Forming a Book Review Group and Monthly Review Session?

Post by racoon12 »

Hi Dennis

I wish to join if you're agreeable...think is a great ideas. Especially for ppl like me who hate reading & got no time to as well. However, I can do it with my wife for per chapter basis and present our thoughts if you agreeable.

Many thanks
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

racoon12 wrote:Hi Dennis

I wish to join if you're agreeable...think is a great ideas. Especially for ppl like me who hate reading & got no time to as well. However, I can do it with my wife for per chapter basis and present our thoughts if you agreeable.

Many thanks
glad to hear that. Yes, everyone (all seminar graduates) are welcome to join.

Do you mean you and your wife will share about "The Master Plan to Success" for the first book sharing session?

As I mentioned, each time, the people volunteer to share will get a copy of the Book Free, paid and sponsored by MasterYourFinance.com Pte Ltd.

Each month, at each sharing session, a different book will be shared, and seminar graduates are welcome to suggest books they want to be shared/reviewed at each session.

By doing so, then each seminar graduate will have the benefit of like reading/learning from at least 12 books a year, even if this person does NOT read books himself/herself. This is another way for us to promote and encourage sharing/learning from one another in this Seminar Graduates' Community and the spirit of selfless sharing.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
racoon12

Post by racoon12 »

Hi Dennis

To share a book a month may be a big challenge to both of us. Could we share a chapter instead? And may be 12 person to share a chapter each on each month of meetup. That will be 12 chapter on 12 month of 12 books.

Could it be in that arrangement?

many thanks
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

To share a book a month may be a big challenge to both of us. Could we share a chapter instead? And may be 12 person to share a chapter each on each month of meetup. That will be 12 chapter on 12 month of 12 books.

Could it be in that arrangement?

many thanks
Hi racoon12,
a book sharing session is basically a session to share in 2 hours what are the main things learned from a book. If you have no idea how this is done, well, I can do the first session and you attend to have a better idea. The Idea is NOT to go so deep into a book, 12 sessions for 1 book. Only 1 session per month for 1 book, 12 months 12 books.
Cheers!

racoon12

Post by racoon12 »

Hi Dennis

May be i should learn to understand from you first.

Many thanks for offering, is our honour.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

May be i should learn to understand from you first.

Many thanks for offering, is our honour.
you're welcome.

I will only start this initiative if there is sufficient interest. So I need seminar graduates to respond to this message and say whether they want such a Monthly Book Sharing Session or not
, and of course, as I said, each session will be shared by a seminar graduate, but I can start the first session to kick-start it.

Each person who conduct the book sharing session will be given the Book FREE, as a Token of Appreciation for the person's sharing. If the person already bought the book, then they just need to present receipt for the book and MasterYourFinance.com Pte Ltd will pay for the book for him/her.
Cheers!

racoon12

Post by racoon12 »

Let see if there's enough number to roll this out.

Many thanks
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Would prefer attending seminars conducted by financial experts or moral education guests compared to book review session as I find it tedious to finish even 1 book, with exception of Anthony Robbins, Notes from a Friend (thin book) and those that cover different topics per chapter (like Dennis books).
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

candy_chia wrote:Would prefer attending seminars conducted by financial experts or moral education guests compared to book review session as I find it tedious to finish even 1 book, with exception of Anthony Robbins, Notes from a Friend (thin book) and those that cover different topics per chapter (like Dennis books).
so if you are lazy to read a book, imagine just attending a book sharing session every month and you get to learn what 12 books teach in 12 months. Not interested in that? I'm really surprised.

Of course I will only start if enough people express interest. Seminar graduates need to reply to this discussion topic. If not enough people interested, then why should I bother? If people don't bother to learn, why I bother?
Cheers!

candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

It takes me a very long time to finish a book as compared to finish the video, as sometimes just cannot digest or understand the jest of that particular chapter, ended up need to re-read the book many times!

Definitely, I appreciate your innovative suggestion and offer to be the first to sacrifice your valuable time and effort in the book review.
Dennis Ng wrote:
candy_chia wrote:Would prefer attending seminars conducted by financial experts or moral education guests compared to book review session as I find it tedious to finish even 1 book, with exception of Anthony Robbins, Notes from a Friend (thin book) and those that cover different topics per chapter (like Dennis books).
so if you are lazy to read a book, imagine just attending a book sharing session every month and you get to learn what 12 books teach in 12 months. Not interested in that? I'm really surprised.

Of course I will only start if enough people express interest. Seminar graduates need to reply to this discussion topic. If not enough people interested, then why should I bother? If people don't bother to learn, why I bother?
alvin
Investing Mentor

Post by alvin »

Dennis, I volunteer to conduct the book reviews.
www.bigfatpurse.com - Living a Life of Abundance
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

alvin wrote:Dennis, I volunteer to conduct the book reviews.
thanks Alvin. Let us have more seminar graduates respond to this discussion thread to say they want to have such a Book Sharing session. No point we do this if this is NOT what people want.
Cheers!

hope
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by hope »

Hi Dennis and all,
I think this is a great idea especially for me there are so many good books out there and so limited time. This will definitely benefit myself and many people that has the same situation as me :D
Hi, I am newbie and just graduated from Dennis's seminar last week. Hope to learn from all of you :)
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

hope wrote:Hi Dennis and all,
I think this is a great idea especially for me there are so many good books out there and so limited time. This will definitely benefit myself and many people that has the same situation as me :D
response not so good. Unless I get at least more than 20 people to respond to this thread and express interest, otherwise, I won't bother starting this initiative when seminar graduates are NOT interested enough to even express interest.
Cheers!