Short Term Trading vs Investing, What's the Difference?

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Re: Short Term Trading vs Investing, What's the Difference?

Post by candy_chia »

Wake up call to be prudent with your fund in stock investment. Don't play with fire to earn quick profit.

Malaysian play in Singapore gone awry
Published: Saturday October 12, 2013

Stratospheric rises and lofty valuations

Blumont was trading at a mere 6 cents a share last August. But it hit a high of S$2.45 barely a year later and there were recent sharp rises in recent times. The same applied for LionGold and Asiasons.
:roll:

In Asiason’s case, the spike came after they announced a plan to acquire an oil and gas firm, Black Elk, primarily via share issuances at a price of S$2.19 a share. Prior to that the share price was said to see a steady rise as investors began to take notice of the deals the company was executing.

The deal for Black Elk was at a due diligence stage prior to the panic selling of those three stocks and now would have to be reassessed considering Asiason’s depressed share price. The deal could likely be scuttled although insiders say that discussions are still ongoing.

The fact remains that the spike up in prices of all these stocks had no earnings to support them.

Blumont’s Molyneux had this to say at the recent press conference on the valuation of mineral companies: “Resources in the ground is like having gold bullions in your safe, discounted of course to its extraction cost. Mineral companies have value before they have revenue,” he said, adding that major mining companies were valued this way abroad.

The stocks, nonetheless, were trading at mind-boggling trailing price earnings multiples and book values, caused mainly by a steep and sudden surge in the share prices of those companies.

Sentiment had been strong

Sceptics reckon that the recent sell down of these Malaysian-controlled stocks leave a bad taste among investors in Singapore. And they speculate that this incident will impact other Malaysian stocks listed there.

Interestingly, some investors point out that all three stocks were in fact part of a recent Malaysian-themed run up. The proposed takeover of Albedo Ltd, the company that is aiming to be an Iskandar Development Region property player through a reverse takeover deal by Malaysian tycoon Tan Sri Danny Tan, was also in the limelight in August.

Investors were touting it as ‘another Rowsley Ltd in the making’. Rowsley is controlled by Singaporean billionaire Peter Lim.

Loss-making steel trader Albedo was actively traded in August, with volumes surpassing the billion mark.

Albedo said it would be able to continue, citing its fund raising exercises and continued support from its principal bankers

In June, the company said it had entered into a MOU to buy Coeur Gold Armenia Ltd, a gold miner in Armenia. It aborted the purchase on Aug 16 and four days later announced its intention to buy land in Iskandar, Johor.

Albedo’s shares quadrupled from 2 cents to about 7.6 cents in August.

About the same time that the Blumont, Asiasons and LionGold started tumbling, Albedo also fell sharply, and is now hovering at the 4.6 cents level.

But says one Singapore broker, “I wouldn’t say that this saga has cast a shadow on Malaysia companies per se. Investors are honing in on whether these companies had real, legitimate businesses”.

Brokers also said that prior to the designation of the stocks on Oct 4, sentiment had been strong.

“People were crazy for these stocks. These were known companies. On and off, there would be news articles on the mergers and acquisitions done by these companies,” said one Singaporean broker.

Now that all stocks have plummeted, he said that questions were kicking in, and investors were starting to pay more attention to the businesses of these companies.

“Of course people are panicking. These stocks took a year to go up, and lost 90% of that value in 3 days.” :shock:

Full article:
http://www.thestar.com.my/Business/Busi ... o-fre.aspx

Related article:
Singapore exchange steps up stock trading scrutiny; confusion over curbs
Several brokerages in Singapore could lose millions of dollars in the wake of recent sharp price falls in three stocks, traders said
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/ ... 3620131011
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Get Rich: How to Pay Yourself First
AUGUST 19, 2012 BY DRIZZT

The key to sustainable wealth building is not just to put savings above all else,
Pay YOURSELF First
, built psychological mechanisms based around habits and goals to ensure a stream of cash flow for you to build your wealth.

http://www.investmentmoats.com/budgetin ... elf-first/
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Commendable effort for Alvin to share his investment mistake publicly & all the best to him to recoup his loss ultimately.

http://www.bigfatpurse.com/2014/01/how- ... ent-439662

We should learn avoid incurring BIG investment loss.
candy_chia wrote: By experiencing the hardship of downgrading of the family standard of living (luckily, 7 of us still can afford to squeeze into a 3-room flat) while still studying. :cry:

Majority of the investors didn't think they will Lose in the ruthless stock investing game, like my dad who "invested" in shares (though he insisted that it was just plain bad luck till today) cannot recoup this capital, when he faced business failure concurrently. :(
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 3&start=75

Dr YC Chan mentioned in his book, Market Revelation, 市场给你的101个投资啓示:

Shares Investment is afterall a Highly Risky Game.

股市投资毕竟是风险很大的游戏, 我相信《上得山多终遇虎》的哲学。
With a smooth investment journey from the onset, one will become OVERLY-Confident,

===> as a result, will pour Increasingly amount of funds into the bull market.

=====> Ultimately, when the fund is being wiped out during the finale of bull market, one may Not have the opportunity Fund to restart the "Business", especially when one is near retirement age.

candy_chia wrote:
Let me begin my sad story, some of you may have heard before:
candy_chia wrote:
My first trade enabled me to reap 100% gain about $1k (30% of my capital in 1997),

however over-confidence resulted in humongous loss of $50k in bull market (now you will wonder why anyone ever lost money in bull market).

That didn't stop my fighting spirit when I subsequently trimmed down the painfull loss to $30k over the decade.
A few recent winning valued stocks plus dividends accumulated had further reduced my loss to $20k, perhaps I could clear my debt before the finale of bull market.

7 Lessons Learned From Losing $739,135 In Bad Investments
http://www.masteryourfinance.com/forum/ ... 964#p27964
candy_chia
Investing Mentor

Post by candy_chia »

Extreme Fear at 13 as shown on Fear & Greed Index.

money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/

Look at Market Fluctuations as your Friendrather than your enemy;

Profit from Folly rather than participate in it.
Warren Buffett

How to Tap Fear and Greed for Successful Stock Market Investing
September 26, 2013 8:26 AM

Which stock is a great long-term investing opportunity? That’s one question I’m always asked. Obviously, I can’t answer that question for everyone, as each person has a completely different financial situation to take into account. However, there is a common occurrence in the stock market that, with the right strategy, every investor can take advantage of for a profitable long-term investing opportunity.

What I’m talking about are swings in investor sentiment. These swings from optimism to pessimism in investor sentiment can be beneficial for those interested in long-term investing. While it’s difficult to see one’s stock or portfolio decrease in value, that shift in investor sentiment creates a buying opportunity for the long-term investing horizon.

But going back to the original question, I would say that instead of always looking for the next “hot” stock, focus on firms that you know really well and look for shifts in investor sentiment that could offer a good entry point.

By having a watchlist of companies you’re interested in for long-term investing and waiting for periods of panic when investor sentiment is dropping rapidly, you can begin accumulating and effectively buying pieces of the company on sale.

~~ Fear pushes investor sentiment far below fair market value.
~~~ Conversely, greed pushes investor sentiment far beyond market value, to the upside.

Essentially, YOU want to be BUYING when others are selling, and selling when others are buying.

http://www.benzinga.com/markets/13/09/3 ... -investing