Dennis Ng on Channel 8 "Show Me The Money" 12 May

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

andy chan
Senior Forum Member

Post by andy chan »

Hi kklok i dont have a ftp site but i may have some "clouds" around let me check and get back to you. :D

Dennis i will be looking forward to the "nightmare" tomorrow night! Hahahaha. Just joking.

I am sure you are fine. We have seen your animated talk and actions in class so I think we are pretty prepared for you on screen acting. :lol:
Seeing is not Believing.
We have to Believe FIRST, then we can see.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

andy chan wrote:Hi kklok i dont have a ftp site but i may have some "clouds" around let me check and get back to you. :D

Dennis i will be looking forward to the "nightmare" tomorrow night! Hahahaha. Just joking.

I am sure you are fine. We have seen your animated talk and actions in class so I think we are pretty prepared for you on screen acting. :lol:
Hi andy chan,
tomorrow's episode is one I have the most NGs....in one simple scene, when Kym Ng calls out to me and I respond and walk towards her, we had to re-do it for 5 times...as I was either too fast, too slow to react, too unnatural, over-act, under-act...haha. I apologised to Kym Ng and Chen Tian Wen for the 5 takes we took...so embarrassing.

I can't act, but it's not just I can't act, I'm NOT "TV genic" as well...it is always a tortue to see myself on TV. haha.

The scary things is the public may be forced to see more of me on TV soon... :shock:
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
chanfke
Senior Forum Member

Dennis Ng on Channel 8 "Show Me The Money" 12 May

Post by chanfke »

Hi Dennis,

Just my thoughts/observations on your acting :
You are a natural in your 'animated acts' when you conduct your seminars....which I think may be stemming from no fixed script that you need to follow or that you had rehearsed your act many times before (which I tend to think not so the case as I personally actually find you to have a talent in acting though I can very much about your look lah).

You are like what you had described yourself as on TV most probably being 'restricted' to follow the script and thus inhibited somewhat your latent free-flow acting instincts.

Eric Chan
patng8
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by patng8 »

Hi Dennis

I find that you look more natural, better and interesting when you are conducting the seminar.

Also, we are ok to see more of you on TV. But do not cut down your time in teaching more people to achieve financial freedom (ie conduct seminar) and sharing in this forum.
Dennis Ng wrote:
tomorrow's episode is one I have the most NGs....in one simple scene, when Kym Ng calls out to me and I respond and walk towards her, we had to re-do it for 5 times...as I was either too fast, too slow to react, too unnatural, over-act, under-act...haha. I apologised to Kym Ng and Chen Tian Wen for the 5 takes we took...so embarrassing.

I can't act, but it's not just I can't act, I'm NOT "TV genic" as well...it is always a tortue to see myself on TV. haha.

The scary things is the public may be forced to see more of me on TV soon... :shock:
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

patng8 wrote:Hi Dennis

I find that you look more natural, better and interesting when you are conducting the seminar.

Also, we are ok to see more of you on TV. But do not cut down your time in teaching more people to achieve financial freedom (ie conduct seminar) and sharing in this forum.
Hi patng8,
no worries, I spend average 3 to 5 hours on this forum daily. I'm actually almost full time just educating, as I now leave the running of my businesses to my wife and other capable team members.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Episode 8 - on Retirement and CPF Retirement Schemes

http://video.xin.msn.com/watch/video/ep ... /1gqreyfu0

In this episode, I shared with TV audience that one should start planning and saving for retirement latest by age 35 or 40...so that one at least have about 20 to 25 years to prepare for retirement if one intend to retire by age 60.

The returns you can get on your savings will greatly affect how much you need to save.

For instance, if you want retirement income of S$1,500 per month but if you can only get annual returns of 3%, you need to save S$1,400 per month for 25 years. But if you can get 8% returns, you only need to save about S$400, or S$1,000 less in savings per month needed!

Using myself as an example, because I started saving for retirement at age 25, and I know how to grow my money, I managed to accumulate one million dollars by age 40 and can retire at age 40 if I wanted to.

On the other hand, if one does NOT save for retirement, one might be forced to work even beyond age 70...

A recent study by AVIVA insurance shows that most people in Singapore only have average of S$150,000 by age 60...I personally think the main reason is becos most people put their money in Bank (earns 1% interest) and Insurance companies (earns 3% returns), which is less than inflation rate, and thus they do NOT have much money even by age 60...

detailed news on what the AVIVA retirement study shows:

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/Many-S ... 3.html?x=0
Cheers!

jfoo2
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by jfoo2 »

Hi Dennis,

Just for discussions as I watch the programme last night...

I used the CPF compound calculator. Based on the results, the lump sum after 25 years is $382,947. (ie S$400 x 25 years x 8% per annum)

If based on a lump sum $382,947 at the end of 25 years, and putting in dividend stocks or UK traded endowment with a modest 5% return, one can possible achieve $19,147 per annum without too much stocks knowledge.

a) Is that how you how you derived the retirement income of S$1,500 per month? ie assuming one invest in a financial product that gives back $1.5k each mth?

b) What are the instruments available for 5% returns for retirement income/payout? I mean dividend stocks can still be very volatile and thus the capital can be affected drastically when there is a mkt crash. I am not sure but I guess seems like UK endowment funds cannot be withdraw yearly as an income.

c) Is is possible to get any annuity plan that achieves the $1500 you mentioned?

Seems like you must carry on investing and monitoring to achieve a consistent retirement fund?
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

jfoo2 wrote:Hi Dennis,

Just for discussions as I watch the programme last night...

I used the CPF compound calculator. Based on the results, the lump sum after 25 years is $382,947. (ie S$400 x 25 years x 8% per annum)

If based on a lump sum $382,947 at the end of 25 years, and putting in dividend stocks or UK traded endowment with a modest 5% return, one can possible achieve $19,147 per annum without too much stocks knowledge.

a) Is that how you how you derived the retirement income of S$1,500 per month? ie assuming one invest in a financial product that gives back $1.5k each mth?

b) What are the instruments available for 5% returns for retirement income/payout? I mean dividend stocks can still be very volatile and thus the capital can be affected drastically when there is a mkt crash. I am not sure but I guess seems like UK endowment funds cannot be withdraw yearly as an income.

c) Is is possible to get any annuity plan that achieves the $1500 you mentioned?

Seems like you must carry on investing and monitoring to achieve a consistent retirement fund?
Hi jfoo2,
UK Traded Endowment can become "annuity" by a laddering strategy, ie. you can invest into 5 UK Traded Endowment plans maturing in 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 years' time. Then re-invest each policy for another 5 years to have a continuous stream of Yearly Income 5 years from now.

Most important step is still first to accumulate a substantial amount of money eg. S$1 million. For instance, 5% x S$1 million is S$50,000 a year, while 5% x S$2 million is S$100,000 a year.

Currently, just dividends alone, I receive about S$35,000 a year and stocks is just 30% of my wealth (about S$2.6 million currently).
Cheers!

jfoo2
Platinum Forum Contributor

Post by jfoo2 »

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your tips.

Yes, the first thing is to get to $1million FIRST and learn how to invest to
retirement funds then.

I'll give you a buzz when I reach there. :)

Cheers
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Cheers!

kklok
Investing Mentor

Post by kklok »

Dennis Ng wrote:
kklok wrote:Hi Andy,

I have episode 1 & 3 in flv format but the file is about 200MB. If you have a FTP site then I can upload to that location.

Cheers
KK
Hi kklok,
anyway to upload to youtube?
Hi Dennis,

I have tried to upload to youtube but the file is too big. Now I am trying to upload to another place. If successful I will share the URL.

Cheers
KK
kklok
Investing Mentor

Post by kklok »

Hi Andy,

I have uploaded Episode 1 to the following URL:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34170769/Show%2 ... de%201.flv

If you are able to download I will then upload Episode 3 ;-)

Cheers
KK
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

kklok wrote:Hi Andy,

I have uploaded Episode 1 to the following URL:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34170769/Show%2 ... de%201.flv

If you are able to download I will then upload Episode 3 ;-)

Cheers
KK
Hi KK,
thanks alot. I'm able to download the recording.
Cheers!

andy chan
Senior Forum Member

Post by andy chan »

Hi kklok!

Thank you for the upload!
It's hilarious!
Please upload the next episode that you have. :)

Dennis,

I think they have to make it funny so that the subject will not be so dry.
You played your part very well with the running gag that patty is looking for a bf! :wink:
But the producers really don't know the real animated you, which is a shame as you can't show that on tv.
Good job!
Looking forward to more episodes. :D
Seeing is not Believing.
We have to Believe FIRST, then we can see.
kklok
Investing Mentor

Post by kklok »

Hi Andy,

Here is the link for Episode 3.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34170769/Show%2 ... de%203.flv

Hope you enjoy Dennis acting and the information taught in the show ;-). Too bad my Episode 2 got some problem when downloading from XIN MSN. Else will have all the first three episode. Now XIN MSN make it very hard for downloading the video clips...Hummm...Must think of another way.

Cheers
KK