The value of Dennis seminars is infinite

This forum is created to discuss broad Financial Principles pertaining to Personal Finance

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: The value of Dennis seminars is infinite

Post by Dennis Ng »

The first time I encountered a Stock Market Crash was in 1998's Asian Financial Crisis.....STI fell from a high of 2,500 to a low of 800, or dropping by 68%...it was the Worst Stock Market Crash Singapore Stock Market ever experienced and it was the first time I experienced it personally (having money invested in the stock market).

That time I didn't learn anything about analysing company's Financial Statements, nor do I know anything about how to Read and Analyse stock charts...I remember that as stock prices go lower, I kept averaging down, thinking that prices are already low, how much lower can it go....

From 1993 to 1996 when stock markets were going up, I kept making money...so when the market started crashing in 1996, I just used some of my earlier Capital Gains to average down...

Then all the 3 years of gains I made were all wiped out as the stock markets went lower....I started deploying Fresh Capital into the market to average down...the rest is history...

All in all, I not only gave back all the gains I made in the prior 3 years (1993 to 1996) but I lost half of ALL of my wealth then, (amounted to S$100,000) or I lost S$50,000....for a person who saved S$300 to S$600 a month, it not only so-called wiped out my years of saving since starting work in 1993, but I also lost part of my childhood savings (saving accumulated over 20 plus years)...it was a very, very, very painful experience for me...

I finally realised that I don't know how to invest. I started reading books, attending seminars, seeking out Mentors to learn from (I would try to get to know other seminar attendees and would try to make friends with them once I know they have made money from investing)...in year 1999, I joined a new share investment portal as a forumer (shareinvestor.com) and that's how I met 2 of my "sifus", Mossie and Warren...I learned alot from them, including "how to see Invisible Hands in the markets"...

So when the next stock market Crash in year 2000, I didn't lose as much this round as I had learned from past mistake...I waited for markets to Crash and started deploying most of my capital in year 2002....alas, I was 1 year too early...the stock market only bottoms in Mar 2003 (fell another 20% due to the SARS Crisis)...

Nonetheless, with some knowledge of TA and FA, I managed to buy low during year 2002...and with FA and TA, I didn't sell out for small gains, such as 10% to 20% gains...this round I really make money...the best performing stock I invested in, I reaped over 500% returns and the Total returns from this Bull Market from year 2003 to year 2007 was over 200%....I turned S$200,000 to more than S$600,000....then I sold 80% of my stocks and invested about S$200,000 and bought and sold 2 properties, making 55% and over 100% returns in 8 short months...plus savings from year 2003 to year 2007...that's how I reached my first million dollars in year 2008.

Becos of my knowledge in FA and TA, this round when the Global Financial Crisis hits in year 2008, I managed to avoid the Stock Market Crash and only started investing from Oct 2008 after Lehman Brothers' Crash...

Last 2 years alone, I already cashed out over 50% Realised Capital Gains.

As mentioned, the 2 Simple Questions that guide ALL my decisions, yes, all my decisions in life, NOT just investment decisions are :

1. What if I'm wrong, will I be financially ok?"
2. What is the upside, what is the downside? Only decide to go ahead when Upside is at least twice the Downside.

Many seminar graduates do NOT grasp the Power of these 2 questions. As I mentioned, I have learned from many, many multi-millionaires, including Singapore, Malaysia and other countries, and I realise that these are the 2 fundamental questions they ask themselves...and some of them have personal sad story to tell (just as I do) of how becos they forget to ask themselves "What if I'm wrong, will I be financially ok?" that led to huge losses for them. For instance, one of my sifu lost S$5 million when he forgot to ask this question when investing in a "shrimp business".

Just ask Mr Oei Hong Leong, I bet he forgot to ask himself this question when he was making billion dollar investment, he must be feeling very confident that he would be right, that he would make money instead of lose money.... that's how he ended up losing S$1 billion and owing to CITIBANK...

Mr Oei might find it unbelieveable that he can learn this Valuable lesson and avoid a Billion Dollar Loss from Dennis Ng's How to Save and Accumulate One Million Dollars Seminar...I know that whenever I say this during seminar, some would think that I'm boasting, some would think I was just trying to be funny and joke, NO, I mean it very seriously.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi all,

when you go through the stock picks by all the famous Stock Analysts in Singapore in Jan 2011, you would realise that if you had bought stocks at those prices (Jan 2011) as suggested by them, you would be suffering a Big loss right now.

So much goes to reading research reports from Stock Analysts.

One of my multi-millionaire sifu said to me:"there are young stock analysts, and there are old stock analysts. There are NO Good and Old Stock analysts. Why? Becos something many people do NOT know is that stock analysts cannot buy any stocks they recommend to buy...so imagine if you're really good at choosing stocks yet you find a good stock and you cannot buy yourself, do you want to continue doing this for a long time?

So likely you resigned and changed job. On the other hand, imagine they might recommend stocks NOT really their top picks, becos they can't buy anything they recommend buy.

What is your choice? Still waiting to get "fish" (tips) from stock analysts or you want to learn how to fish (invest and choose stocks) yourself? I think the choice is clear and I've made my choice. Have you?
Dennis Ng wrote:2 Jan 2011

below are my comments on what the "4 financial experts said" and below my comments is the article "4 financial experts' forecast for this year" published in Sunday Times 2 Jan 2011.

My comments:
as I always said, analyts' No. 1 objective is to keep their jobs. You can see that they seem to "agree with one another", becos if your views are not too different from other analyts, when your forecast turns out to be wrong, you will still keep your job.

Most of them also play "safe" by suggesting that people buy Blue Chip stocks. Frankly, most of the blue chips are already trading at PE of 15 or higher, there is not much upside potential left.

I said Suntec REIT is worth buying 1 year ago when share price was S$1. Now then analysts suggest you to buy Suntec REIT when price is S$1.50. Are they kinda late?
Cheers!

Dennis Ng

"4 financial experts' forecast for this year"

On Friday, the benchmark Straits Times Index (STI) closed at 3,190.04.

That would be welcome in many countries but local traders have been a little spoiled of late.

For full-time investor Isaac Chin, 61, his fortunes have been tracking STI rises in the past two years.

Mr Chin is fully invested in real estate investment trusts (Reits) and DBS preference shares.

'CapitaMall Trust and Suntec Reit remain my favourite picks for this year. They are retail/office plays and Suntec Reit has just acquired a stake in Marina Bay Financial Centre Phase One,' he said.

Mr Chin also believes the STI can reach 3,500 to 3,700 by the middle of this year.

Despite the volatility in these markets, Singapore's economy clocked up growth of 14.7 per cent last year with expansion of 4 to 6 per cent tipped for this year.

The Sunday Times polled four financial experts on their market outlook.

MS JANICE CHUA
Head of DBS Vickers Research, Singapore

Our stock picks are Indofood Agri with a target price of $3.20, SembCorp Marine at $5.48, Keppel Corp at $12.20 and Cosco Corp at $2.35.

The trend for strong visitor arrivals should continue into this year, driven by new attractions at Universal Studios in Sentosa, the gear-up to host larger conferences and meetings, the opening of Gardens by the Bay and the International Cruise Terminal.

Hospitality-related stocks should continue to deliver strong earnings and our picks are Genting Singapore with a target price of $2.70, SIA at $18.50, UOL at $5.23 and CDL Hospitality Trusts at $2.28.

MR TERENCE WONG
Executive director at DMG & Partners Research

Q: What are the sector/stock picks for 2011?

Our stock picks include CDL Hospitality Trusts at a target price of $2.51 as Singapore sees record tourism numbers.

Occupancy is very tight at about 92 per cent, which should result in average room rates heading north.

We also like FJ Benjamin, with the target price at 52 cents, as we believe that strong visitor arrivals coupled with the solid job market should boost retailers.

Domestic consumer sentiment is also on the rise in both Malaysia and Indonesia which are FJ Benjamin's key markets.

Other stock picks are Sino Grandness at 56 cents, as it is enjoying strong earnings growth driven by domestic beverage sales and is expanding its distribution network in China; Ezion at $1 and First Resources at $2.05.

MS CARMEN LEE
OCBC Investment Research's head of research

Our key stock picks are Ascott Residence Trust at a target price of $1.38, Biosensors at $1.35, CapitaLand at $4.54, DBS at $16, Ezra at $2.27, Genting at $2.53, Hyflux at $3.66, Keppel Corp at $12.50, Mapletree Logistics Trust at $1, Noble at $2.59, Olam at $3.53, Pacific Andes Resources at 40 cents, Sembcorp Marine at $5.70, StarHub at $3.02, UOB at $19.70, UOL at $5.42 and Venture Corp at $12.10.

Q: What's your tip?

We advocate investing in quality stocks in the right sectors with good track record, management teams and good order flow.

We prefer to stick with blue chips, in particular, blue chip laggards last year such as DBS, UOB, CapitaLand, Noble and SGX.

MS TAN MIN LAN
Strategist at UBS Investment Research

As a result, Singapore Reits would benefit the most while firms with US dollar or euro revenue and assets in developed markets should feel the drag of a stronger Singapore dollar, specifically tech firms such as ST Engineering, Wilmar and Hyflux.

We like Overseas Union Enterprise at a target price of $4.28 for its significant exposure to prime office space and hotels, and Indofood Agri at $3.70, as it is well positioned to benefit from rising cash flow, improving profitability, lower gearing and potential for dividend payouts following the completion of its major capital expenditure cycle.

Other stock picks are Keppel Land at $5.08, Keppel Corp at $11.10, SembCorp Industries at $5.68, OCBC at $11.30, Sats at $3.40, Noble at $2.70 and DBS at $16.60.
Cheers!

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
danielcheng
Investing Mentor

Post by danielcheng »

This is how humans are naturally wired. No matter how much we have, It is always not enough. We won't admit it and will also always find reasons to justify it.

We are hopeful and thats why we progress and thrive but we say hope is not a strategy. Anyway, all these traits are both our strengths and weaknesses. Look around us, many are selling hope and managed to attract huge audience or clients.

If Mr Oei makes it bigger in that investment, he creates another classic classroom inspiration story. Too bad he miss calculated, it is then call a bet and so it becomes a classic lesson.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

What I teach in my seminars, can really help you identify warning signals of companies before they get into trouble and suspended...One of the warning signals I teach in the seminar is the resignation of Financial Controller) before the co getting into trouble, and by using this warning signal, one would have managed to sell or get out of China Milk shares before the company went into trouble.

Thus, once again it shows and proves that if you increase your investment knowledge, you can really reduces/avoid losses and increase your gains.
Dennis Ng wrote:
Dennis Ng wrote:1 Feb 2012

I have a hunch that this company is the next in the SI chips. Their Financial Controller just resigned....luckily, I sold this off above 40 cents and made a quick exit without incurring any loss.

I decided not to buy any China stocks listed in Singapore in the near future. Because too many went into trouble.

Currently, the china stocks listed in Singapore I still hold are China Aviation Oil and Yanzhijiang.
12 Feb 2012

it is unfortunate but my "hunch" seems to be correct. I hope my sharing have helped some forumers avoided losing money in China Milk...

China Milk was halted for trading for 4 days and today (12 Feb 2010) finally made some announcement and the shares have been suspended from trading:

Extracted from ChinaMilk's announcement this afternoon:

"The Independent Directors have further noted that the Management of the Company could not now give an unequivocal confirmation as to whether, when and how the Company will be meeting its payment obligations under the Convertible Bonds when the earlier impressions given to the Board was that the Company is in a position to do so save for some procedural matters. This fortifies the Audit Committee's resolve to approach the Management's representations on the Company's financial position with more caution to ensure that the Q3 Financial Results when announced are not inaccurate or misleading in any way."
Cheers!

kolch
Silver Forum Contributor

Post by kolch »

Hello:

Below is my personal experience after attending Dennis stock seminar and I would like to share this experience with you.

(1) Hu An Cable Holding
FA - Profit is positive but the profit is dropping
TA - The 20MA, 50MA and 200MA all moving downward
Exit point - Miss the opportunity to exit at 0.15 and eventually exit at 0.14 on 14 May
Previous close - 0.124
Benefit of seminar - Avoid further losses by 11.4%

(2) Healthway Medical
FA - Company practise Right Issue and majority of the money is used to pay loans
TA - 200MA form a strong baseline at 0.086
Exit point - Sold at 0.085 on 15 May as the price cut below the 200MA line
Previous close - 0.078
Benefit of seminar - Avoid further losses by 8.2%

(3) Suntecreit
Exit point - This stock has been in uptrend movement since Jan. So I decide to sold at 1.355 on 9 May as moving forward the market sentiment is not good
Previous close - 1.29
Benefit of seminar - I sold it at a gain as my entry point is 1.275

(4) XMH
FA - Company performance affected since Japan 311 earthquake. Company practises frequent share buy back at a price of around 0.167.
TA - No trend
Exit point - Sold at 0.168 on 8 May as Dennis mentioned that nowsaday share buy back is not effective
Previous close - 0.162
Benefit of seminar Avoid further losses by 3.6%

My current portfolio - 5% stock, 95% cash

Thanks.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Retropbz wrote:Hi Dennis SIFU,

Sharing and giving are the best things in this world which I learning from you. I am sure that to help others is also to help yourself to a better and happier life when they benefit from you.

Wonderful Day to Everyone :D
great to hear that.

Personally, I discover that serving others, helping others and Giving in all forms, gives me tremendous fulfillment and happiness, which is why I look forward to doing more and more of it.

Another thing that gives me tremendous joy is to see and witness the growth and development of people. This Sat, for the first time, the first half of the How to Save and Accumulate One Million Dollars Seminar would be conducted by one of my seminar graduates, (groomed to be one of the trainers), Adrian Chua. Nowadays, the weekly Path to Financial Freedom are already conducted by ONLY my seminar graduates...

My next plan is to reach out to corporates (companies) so that we can reach out to educate more people, and I can't do this alone, I need a group of dedicated Trainers to make this a reality.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Great News! My book "What Your School Never Taught You About Money" has been selected by Samsung for its "Learning Hub" and will be launched in 15 countries world-wide! So my dream of my book going International is coming true!

Once again, it shows to you again that CBA really works! And you don't even need to now How, the How will be unveiled by the Universe...frankly, I never thought that Samsung will be the one helping my book go international!

Looks like my dream of helping to educate one million people to reach one million dollars will come true, just a matter of time!

Samsung is launching its own education service called ‘Learning Hub’, which it says will provide 6,000 textbooks and videos from 30 education providers across the world.

The Korean mobile giant intends to introduce a range of interactive features that assist learning on its Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets initially, including automatic scoring, note-taking abilities and learning management options, facilitating a true self-guided learning environment. The Learning Hub will be open to people of all ages, from elementary school students to adults of all ages.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ov4jdMc_Q
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi dragonhart2,

what you said is true. My personal experience after attending 13 years of seminars since beginning in year 1999, is that out of 100 people who attend a seminar, only about 10 persons would after the seminar, try to apply what they learned from the seminar. For most people, they will just put the file in their book shelf to show that they have attended this seminar or show others some photos taken at the seminar.

There are times I bumped into people I met 13 years ago at the same seminar and after chatting, I realised nothing much changed in their lives at all, while they would comment that I have come a very long way from what they knew me then...

In actual fact, my sifu ever also reminded me of this, that there are so many people out there, but the fact is that many of them do not even want to learn and there is no way I can do anything to help them...he said that in his opinion, I'm just wasting my time trying to teach. Becos in order to teach, I have to have a very Open Public Profile, which to him is a big sacrifice that he himself is not willing to make, as he treasure his own privacy...

I shared with my sifu the story about the boy who tries to rescue dying starfish lying on the beach, picking up the starfish and throwing them back to the sea before they die on the beach. An adult said to the child he's just wasting his time trying to save the starfish, becos there are just too many and he won't be able to save them all...

The child picked up a starfish and before throwing (rescuing) back to the sea, he said:"to this starfish, it made a difference, it is not a waste of time..."

Personally, I have been sharing on Open Internet Discussion forums my knowledge/experience since year 1999...to tell the Truth, there are many times I almost feel like giving up, especially when my sharing is reciprocated with name calling, personal attacks etc...I also started conducted free public education talks since year 2001...

No worries, I will persevere...becos I want to emulate the child in the "star fish" story, that just becos we cannot save everyone, does not mean we don't try to save some at all...of course, I can't do this alone. Which is why my deepest hope is for ALL my seminar graduates (now about 3,000) to also share your knowledge/experience with your relatives/friends/colleagues etc, so that together, we can help to educate even more people...

And I hope that dragonhart2 you can also keep up with your sharing in the forum.

From 10 Jun to 19 Jun, I'll be having a family vacation with my family plus my mother, we'll be going to Paris and London, first time for me to visit these 2 cities...the funny thing is my worry is not about whether my 82 year old mother has the strength to walk, but her son...

Anyway, I'll be focusing 100% of my attention on my family for the 10 days and I'll not be logging in to this forum during this period.

Becos I believe in being 100% Present at all times, be it spending time with my family or here in this forum, or when I teach in the seminar, I don't think of anything else at the same time.

dragonhart2 wrote:dear Dennis,

i hope u understand that this is a numbers game too.
Out 1000 pple who attend "Path to Financial freedom workshop"...how many sign up for the 3 paid seminar....100, 200??
Out of the 100 who sign up, how many will visit this forum?...50?
Out of this 50, how many are willing to go in the water?...got sharks bo? Stock market very risky leh...many pple lost $$$$...it is gambling...may as well go Casino, more shiok?
How many actually believe wholeheartedly what u teach is really the path to financial freedom?

i didn't post this to discourage u, there are lot of pple out there who simply refuse to help themselves.....i post this as reminder for us to have a realistic expectations.....
We can only help those pple who take the first step to forward,willing to give their life a shot. Anyone who stretches his hand, we will surely pull him along...we want to help as many pple as possible............ i am sure u will continue to conduct the free "Path to Financial freedom workshop"...

we do our best to teach.....we don't give up teaching, but the onus is on the student to practise and apply what's taught.
No skills can be imparted if the student refuses to practise and apply.....it is no fault on the teacher....

When the student is ready, the teacher appears......Actually, the teacher is here all this while, just that student wasn't ready to learn....he must be awakened! :x

since i graduated 1 year ago, i have been warning pple around me about the impending crisis...nobody actually believe until the tsunami came...i told them "Don't buy this stock and that stock...."....one of my colleague bot 4 lots of Wilmar at $4.88 after he saw it came down from S6.50++.....he even recommended it to me after buying....straight away i told him, this stock is downtrend....but i can't make the decision for him to sell.....well....he just cut loss at $3.55...about $5000 losss....that's his 1 month's pay!.....another colleague bot 5 lots of Olam at $2.14...dropped to 2.08, he ask me to wack.....again i warned to cut, it's a downtrend stock.....he is still holding it....$1.65 now...mind...he has got 15 years experience trading the market!

cheers,
jason.
Dennis Ng wrote: Hi dragonhart2,

yes, you can be assured that I'm here daily to guide and share with seminar graduates on your Path to Financial Freedom.

I have taught, it is then up to seminar graduates to try to "digest" what is being taught, to apply what is being taught, and to ask any questions which they might have in this forum. If people don't ask questions, I won't know what they don't know.

And of course, as you might have experienced, the more you share, the more you learned, it is something that anyone who share in the forum will experience. So for seminar graduates who are still just doing passive reading, I really encourage more seminar graduates to come forward to share.

Becos only when you share, then I can help correct any misconceptions that you might have, which you might not realise at all.

The more you share, the more you learn, the less you share, the less you learn.

Nothing gives me more satisfaction to witness the growth in knowledge/experience of seminar graduates. I can assure everyone that I will do my utmost to help all seminar graduates in their learning Journey, but they need to "swallow the water" (similar to learning swimming) or "fall down from the bike' (similar to learning how to cycle) themselves, I cannot swallow the water for you, I cannot fall off the bicylce for you...
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi WM (Wee Meng),

thanks for your message.

Becos sometimes I really don't know whether I'm doing is what people want or need, as most seminar graduates as you mentioned, are mostly silent readers...so sometimes everyday when I spend 3 to 5 hours on this forum sharing, sourcing for news/articles to post on the forum, I wonder how many people visit the forum everyday.

Thus, it is very heartwarming to read what you wrote.

Do not give up. I've been through what you've been through as well. I remember there was a time I was so enamoured about Robert Kiyosaki, I would buy all his books and attended his seminars and I even conducted the Cashflow Game sessions for 2 years to share his teachings...however, as I learned from multi-millionaires, I realised some of the things he taught are wrong eg. this over-emphasis on Cashflows...which if you think about it if a person has S$100,000 and buys a S$500,000 property to receive rental income (cashflow), after taking a S$400,000 which might need him to pay S$1,700 Housing loan instalment, he's only left with S$300 (before deducting other costs, eg. tax, insurance, condo management fees etc)...so his Net Cashflow might be S$100...how long will it take this person to reach S$1 million? Answer is 833 years!!!

Then I realised that one might not able to become Rich applying what Robert Kiyosaki teach. Furthermore, he also teach very little on the "How" (how to choose stocks, how to choose properties)...my friend attended his over S$3,000 3 full-day seminar and was very disappointed that even a 3-day seminar he taught very little...

Then I learned Value Investing and tried to invest like Warren Buffett...however, I realised it might not work especially if one does not have TA knowledge and might end up buying stocks when the stock market is in a downtrend...

It was then one of my mutli-millionaire sifu "enlightened me" when he said TA and FA are like 2 eyes, it's better to see the world with 2 eyes....that I realised the importance learning TA (Technical Analysis) as well...

until another multi-millionaire sifu "enlightened me" when he shared that there are "Invisible Hands" in the market, so just having 2 eyes (FA and TA) might not be enough, you need the 3rd eye to see the "Invisible Hands"...

So that's how I learned over the years (from 1999 to 2008), from many different sifus, from many different books, from Jim Rogers, George Soros, Benjamin Graham, Warren Buffett, Philip Fisher, Peter Lynch etc, etc...and then at one point of time it get more and more confusing as each of them may say something that is different or contradict another person...it took me a very, very long time before I finally seem to be able to piece together all these different Jig Saw puzzles into now what I teach in my 3 seminars, How to Save and Accumulate One Million Dollars; Secrets to Making Money in Stocks and Secrets to Making Money in Property...

I hope that through my sharing, that I can help many people out there, like yourself to avoid the many pitfalls of investing and the many Trials and Errors and Confusion reading/learning from different books...

Becos when I look at myself, I would not have the knowledge/experience I have today without learning from all these people I mentioned, so I just want to "pass it on"...

One thing I realised missing in most seminars is the "follow up"...that the seminar speaker disappear after the seminar and I as the seminar graduate have no one to turn to when I encounter questions or need to clarify anything taught in the seminar...

That's why I set up this Discussion Forum, to provide a simple, easy to Access, on-going After Seminar Coaching/Guidance on a daily basis.

Seminar graduates by searching key words in the search button in at the top right hand corner of the Forum, can also easily find whether any question has been previously answered or any stocks already discussed...so as time goes by, this Forum will become a Priceless Treasure Trove, with lots of valuable information/knowledge/experience sharing that can benefit everyone (including members of the public, who can view 80% of the forum, except specific sections closed to Seminar Graduates becos we discussed Terms taught in the seminars which they might not understand)...

Anyone would also realise that I'm probably the ONLY Trainer/Speaker in Singapore that is the most active in Public FREE Education, I write fortnightly (alternate Tuesday) for My Paper.sg My Paper newspaper; now has a weekly Radio program on Capital Radio 95.8 FM every Thursday 10.10 am to 11 am; share on CPF Board's imsavvy.sg "savvy blog corner"; write on monthly basis for share investment magazine, http://www.sharesinv.com/author/dennis-ng/ ; write for bi-monthly magazine "Home Buyer" etc, etc...

Yes, you can be assured that I will continue to educate the public. I told my wife that if have just 1 last breath left, I want to be use the last breath to teach the public...(yes, this may sound unbelieveable for most, including my wife, but I really mean it).

So I urge all seminar graduates NOT to give up on your Path to Financial Freedom, becos everyone can succeed, the only people who fail are those that ...give up. Think about it.

I will do all that I can to help, but seminar graduates need to do your part to learn, to visit the forum daily to read/learn/ask questions as well.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
WM wrote:Hi Dennis,
Thank you very much for continuing to share your knowledge even though you have been told by your sifu that this might be a waste of time.
I like your star fish story very much & would like to share how much I have benefited from attending your seminar & reading your daily posting.
I have read financial investing books 15years back when I was still in college & release the power of compounding interest. I was thinking that by saving 20-30% of my income and invest with the interest of 10-15% p.a. I would be financial ok when approaching retirement.
However, my journey of investing was disappointing. In good time, I can earn 20-40% from unit trust but everything was wiped off during market crash. My financial advisor told me it is unavoidable. I’ve also burned by oilpod, caught in stock market etc. My wife has almost decided to give up in investing & prepare to put our savings in the bank.
When I read your 1st book, I was so happy & grateful that someone is actually teaching people how to reach financial freedom, in a simple to understand way. Moreover, your teaching is very comprehensive as it also covers how to plan for insurance. At that time, I was so disappointed with some agents who keep proposing expensive policies that I have stopped reviewing my policies for more than 7 years.
Learning from your teaching gives hopes & new life to our family. I have revised my insurance coverage & I know that one day I will reach financial freedom if I continue to learn & invest wisely. I fully support your Goal to help 1 million people reach S$1 million, & to continue helping the poor for a better loving society.
Dennis, I sincerely appreciate your teaching & guidance. Please continue to share your knowledge & view as it really makes lots of difference to me, my family & the society. I am one of the starfish that desperately need a helping hand to rescue. I believed many graduates feel the same, but mostly are silent reader.
Cheers…
Wee Meng
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi AdrewNg,

I must still thank Robert Kiyosaki becos after reading his book in 1998, I started to change my mindset to money, he taught us to think about "make money work for you, instead of working for money"...but other than that, frankly, I didn't learn much from him despite buying/reading more than 10 of his books and those under Rich Dad's Advisors' Series...

On Good Debt vs Bad Debt, actually I already learned such concepts "Live" during the Asian Financial Crisis when I personally witnessed businessmen who over-borrowed and ended up from Rich to bankrupt in just a few months, after working hard building up their businesses for over 30 years...

Most of what are taught in those books are very general concepts, not specific how to eg. how to borrow money, what factors to look at etc, etc.

After teaching Cashflow game for 2 years (year 2001 to 2002), it became very clear to me that the way to Wealth is NOT Cashflows, but Capital Gains, this is how one can really make alot of money through the Small Deals while in the Rat Race...when I played the game, after I focus on Capital Gains, I can get out of the Rat Race with Passive income of S$1 million to S$10 million, and end up with hundreds of millions of dollars in the Fast Track (we run out of dollar bills until we just write S$10 million on pieces of paper...)...those were the days...

As I mentioned, for a person who is not Rich to become Rich, focusing on Cashflow cannot lead one to Wealth, this is very obvious to me and I begin to doubt whether Robert Kiyosaki got Rich through what he teaches or he got Rich by teaching.

Becos he'll know the focus should be on Capital Gains for an average person who want to become Rich and not Cashflow (or Passive Income).

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
AndrewNg wrote:Hi Everyone

Look like Robert Kiyosaki is in town promoting his book and event through NLB.
http://golibrary.nlb.gov.sg/Programmes/ ... osaki.aspx

Wonder how many people will be misguided especially for people who attend simply because it is organized by NLB and there is trust that NLB will promote good and quality educational event.

regards
Andrew
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Dennis Ng wrote:25 Apr 2012

Genting Singapore borrow money now even though they are NOT using the money now and have to pay 5.125% interest while waiting.

Genting Singapore is building up Opportunity Fund, this is a Secret of the Rich, all Rich knows the Wisdom of doing so, but it baffles many small shareholders of Genting Singapore, wondering why the company is paying interests on money it does NOT need.

Genting Singapore has S$1 billion net profits and S$3.15 billion debt, even if it pays 6% on its debts, that works out to S$189 million, and its Interest Cover is 6.29 times. So there is really no need to worry about whether Genting Singapore can pay interests on its debts or not.

As I shared many times in my seminars, the average wants to pay off debts, the Rich Borrow money to become Richer.

Until you grasp this truth and follow to do what the Rich do, you would NOT become very rich, as we all have limited financial resources.

Mr Lim also expressed confidence that with the cash in hand, the company could capitalise on any opportunities that may arise. 'I can sleep soundly at night, knowing that with the cash we have, we will definitely be able to earn more than the 5.125 per cent which is the interest cost we pay for this sum of money,' he said.

One shareholder wanted to know why Genting is raising so much money when it had no acquisition target in mind, and yet was paying hefty interest on the funds.

Genting president Tan Hee Teck said: 'They want to see the colour of your money. Let's say hypothetically I want to build an IR (integrated resort) in Japan, the first thing the Japanese government is going to ask you - I say in Hokkien - would be 'Oo lui boh?' (Got money or not?). You can't say that I will raise some money down the road.'

Cheers!

Dennis Ng

The Straits Times
Apr 25, 2012
companies
Shareholders air concerns at Genting AGM
Firm allays fears about its ability to pay interest on $2.3b fund-raising effort

By Goh Eng Yeow

ANXIOUS shareholders of casino giant Genting Singapore yesterday expressed fears over the firm's ability to service the huge interest payments resulting from a recent $2.3 billion fund-raising exercise.

The move dominated questions from the hundreds of shareholders who turned up at the firm's annual general meeting (AGM) held in the luxurious ballroom in Genting's flagship Resorts World Sentosa.

The firm sold a bond-like instrument known as perpetual shares to raise the funds. It is paying a hefty annual payout or coupon of 5.125 per cent.

One after another, shareholders stood up to voice their concerns at the meeting, which lasted for two hours.

One elderly shareholder asked company chairman Lim Kok Thay if Genting would be deferring any payout on the perpetual securities - which give the issuer discretion over repayment of the principal and the ability to defer coupon payments under certain circumstances.

Another shareholder asked if the company's decision to pay out a measly one-cent dividend was to make the perpetual bonds attractive to buyers, since it offered a much higher payout rate in percentage terms than the shares.

But Mr Lim took pains to allay their fears. He said: 'Your board and management are highly confident we can honour all our obligations. Please don't start talking about defaults. We are not a fly-by-night company. In a short span of time, we have grown tremendously. You can see you are the owner of every single brick in this resort.'

He noted that Genting had been given high ratings by credit ratings agencies. 'We have the best credit ratings of any gaming companies in the world, and that includes whatever the American operators can come up with. They are rated as junk. We are investment grade. I can assure you. Please sleep well at night.'

The perpetual securities had been a 'rare win-win situation' for both the company and the investors who bought them. 'It is very rare for both sides to win. We give them very good interest - 5.125 per cent - compared with bank interest which is below 1 per cent,' he said.

In the financial year ended Dec 31 last year, Genting had reported a net profit of $1 billion, revenues of $3.2 billion and borrowings of about $3.15 billion. It is one of Singapore's largest listed firms with a market value of $21 billion and more than 94,000 shareholders.

Mr Lim also expressed confidence that with the cash in hand, the company could capitalise on any opportunities that may arise. 'I can sleep soundly at night, knowing that with the cash we have, we will definitely be able to earn more than the 5.125 per cent which is the interest cost we pay for this sum of money,' he said.

One shareholder wanted to know why Genting is raising so much money when it had no acquisition target in mind, and yet was paying hefty interest on the funds.

Genting president Tan Hee Teck said: 'They want to see the colour of your money. Let's say hypothetically I want to build an IR (integrated resort) in Japan, the first thing the Japanese government is going to ask you - I say in Hokkien - would be 'Oo lui boh?' (Got money or not?). You can't say that I will raise some money down the road.'

A shareholder, who called himself Mr Toh, complained about the proposed one-cent dividend payout. He used a Hokkien expression to suggest that the company must be thinking that one cent is bigger than a bullock-cart wheel.

But Mr Lim noted that there was nothing shameful about the one-cent dividend. 'That one-cent dividend works out to $120 million of your money - $120 million is what this company is paying out as dividend. I am sure if you are embarrassed about it, there will be some charity bodies which will be quite happy to receive your one-cent payout,' he said.

After the meeting ended, each shareholder was given a lunch box to take away.

engyeow@sph.com.sg
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

I'm so happy when Serene Loong (a seminar graduate) shared with me that she shares a similar passion to educate the public and wanted to help educate and empower more people with Real Life Knowledge that works...

What I truly admire and respect her is that she really takes action...

She has the "Just Do It" spirit instead of just thinking about ideas and talking about it...and she started this website called... www.reallifetheory.com

Way to go! Serene!
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Mr Wee Cho Yaw is really very, very smart.

As I said about the Rich, they always try to use as little Cash (Capital) to control as many companies as possible, they always focus on OPM and Leverage while the average person tries to use as much of his/her own money, which is why most are stuck as middle class forever. And this is how Mr Wee controls his Vast empire through complicated Cross shareholding of companies eg. UIC owns significant stake in Singland, UOB owns UOL, while UOL owns UIC... etc, etc.

He is very good at using OPM, (Other People's Money) - other shareholders' money to help him control so many companies. He and his family does NOT own controlling stake in his companies, including UOB, but they hold enough stake to control and manage the companies. And he protects his empire through complicated cross-shareholding to avoid/prevent Hostile Takeover.

Another failed takeover attempt of UIC for S$1.20 by Mr Wee is another real example of how he tries to do a Win/Lose deal. Win for himself and lose for minority shareholders of UIC. UIC's share price is now S$2.54 and NAV is S$3.15.

We can learn from him on using OPM, but I refrain from learning from him on focusing on Win/Lose. I focus on Win/Win and only make money based on the right principles and values.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng

UOL offers to take over UIC for S$1.20 a share
By Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 14 January 2009 2149 hrs

SINGAPORE : Mainboard-listed UOL Group has made a takeover bid for United Industrial Corp (UIC). UOL is paying S$1.20 per share, valuing UIC at S$1.6 billion.

The move comes after UOL's shareholding in UIC crossed the 30 per cent mark. Under listing rules, this means the company has to make a general offer for the remaining shares.

UOL's bid for UIC has revived long-standing rivalries between United Overseas Bank Chairman Wee Cho Yaw and Philippine typhoon John Gokongwei. Mr Wee is chairman of UIC, while Mr Gokongwei is its largest shareholder.

In 2005, when Mr Gokongwei tried to buy out UIC, Mr Wee was among the shareholders who rejected the offer.

Under Wednesday's proposed takeover, UOL will pay S$1.20 for each UIC share that it does not currently own. That is a 9 per cent premium over UIC's last traded price of S$1.10 a share.

Some market watchers said the deal is not likely to succeed because the offer price is way below what Mr Gokongwei paid in the past.

Observers said the real value in owning UIC is its 72.4 per cent stake in Singapore Land - the largest office landlord in the country.

SingLand has a portfolio of S$1.6 billion worth of office assets. It owns a number of key Grade A offices in the central business district, including Singapore Land Tower, SGX Centre 2 and Clifford Centre. It also owns retail properties like the Marina Square shopping mall.

UOL said if its bid is successful, it will offer to buy the remaining shares of SingLand for S$3.57 a share, or S$406 million.

Analysts see the move as helping UOL expand its current office portfolio.

Shares of UIC, which were suspended from trading, last changed hands at S$1.10. UOL shares closed down 2.3 per cent at S$2.09 apiece on Wednesday. - CNA/ms
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

danielcheng wrote:True.

A bit too tricky for me. Not analytical nor hardworking enough to play in the current market. Seems to be a 50/50 chance of making using whatever As(FA/TA/CSA) as a non trader.

Should be a great time for traders tho'. There is always a good reason to buy and excuse to sell either long or short.
Hi danielcheng,
actually if you remember, Yip Khiong did mention it is possible to just have 30% accuracy in TA and still make money, as long as one practises minimises losses by cutting losses and let profits run. (He shared the real life example of "Turtle Traders" as example) and also recommended a few books on Turtle Traders.

Using the only Invest when upside at least double downside rule, it is possible to be right only 40% of the time in Investing to become Richer and Richer over time.

Problem is few people realise the above Truths and keep thinking they have to be right all the time, which end up they unwilling to cut loss or admit they are wrong even when it is clear that their views are wrong.

Successful Investors/Traders do NOT have Big ego, average person loses money becos they have this Ego to be Right all/most of the times.

Thus, as I shared, learning how to invest, the BEST reward is NOT the additional Wealth that one would achieve but it is the process of becoming a Better person (less egoistic as just one of many examples, becoming emotionally calm, practise Logical Thinking and Decision Making etc)...

The Steps to Success is Be, Do, Have.

One need to be a a Better person in order to Do the things that average person would not do and after you have steps Be and Do, the Have (wealth) is just a natural end result that one does NOT even need to aim for or focus on. Focus on Being and Doing the Right things one would get the Right result....another Real Life example of the Universal Law of Cause and Effect. Wealth is the Effect or destination.

It's the journey that matters, the process that matters, the Destination (Financial Freedom) is just the End Result of the Journey or Path...
Cheers!

Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Post by Dennis Ng »

Hi all,

just in case you don't realise, "learner" is Yip Khiong.

Yip Khiong is a good friend of mine and we both graduated from Accountancy in 1993 and know each other for 22 years (first year semester started in Jul 1990). That said, he's someone becos of his preference, prefers to use Mainly TA for investing/trading, while I myself, after learning from several multi-millionaire sifus, one of whom (Warren) emphasized to me the importance of seeing the "world with 2 eyes", use FA to mainly choose the stocks to invest and TA to help me in deciding When to Buy and When to Sell, in addition to FA.

Personally, before that, I was mainly a FA guy, and I realised that only knowing FA is not enough, as I can make the mistake of "catching falling knife" (buying at lower and lower prices) as a stock went into a Downtrend...and only by knowing TA, that this help me to avoid doing so...

Knowing both FA and TA also helped me to estimate that the Stock market Bull market was near the end in year 2007, and helped me managed to "cash out of my profits" (realised gains) and protected my Capital from losses during the subsequent Stock Market Crash which started in May 2008 to Mar 2009...(1 year 10 months)...

Having both FA and TA knowledge also helped me to buy low again starting in Oct 2008, and making over 60% realised gains in the last 2 years. Currently, again most of my gains are Locked in and Realised and I have little invested into stocks, as yet again my view is the bull market might be closer to the end...and if I buy stocks, I would not invest more than 10% of my wealth during the later stage of Bull market.

Making money while the stock market is up is easy, how to ensure that one lock in one's profits and protect one's capital in the subsequent Stock Market downturn is something that most investors fail to do and Successful Investors managed to do and thus, become Richer and Richer over time, instead of just having a "thrill" "enjoying" the Roller Coaster-like movement of Stock Markets over time...

I personally even know investors in their 60s who keep repeating the same process and mistake and have lots of experience to share but little profits to show after 20 to 30 years of "investing" in the stock markets.

Cheers!

Dennis Ng
learner wrote:
wa... did not realise there is a summary here! Thanks Bryan for doing this up (-:

Just a slight correction and slight elaboration on one part which is quoted above about my own view (my views are always fallible hor) on "Between FA & TA, which approach is best?" My view is that ultimately what is best is the approach that suits one's character & personality & to a lesser extent, objective. In the case of a person who is very uncomfortable with Technical Analysis even after having some knowledge about TA, then for that person, the best approach may be FA. For another person who does not like to look at financial statements despite having some knowledge about FA, then for that person, the best approach may be TA. In the case of someone who is comfortable to use both TA & FA, then the best approach will be to use FA to determine what to short-sell or what to buy-long, and to use TA to determine when to open the short/long positions and when to close them. Regarding objectives: if the periodical dividends are sufficiently important for a person (i.e. getting relatively high dividends is among his objectives0, then that person cannot avoid doing FA (whether or not he uses TA). If a person has little or no concern with dividends but his objective is on the capital gains, then he can rely only on TA if his personality (e.g. too lazy) is such that he does not like to do FA. But for those who are happy to use both, then using both FA & TA would be the best for them.

Investor (in accordance to the way I define an investor) ought to use both FA & TA, whereas a trader (in accordance to the way I defined it) can use both FA & TA together, or can use only TA.

Thanks again Bryan for doing the summary.

yip khiong
Cheers!