INVESTING IN EQUITIES

This forum is created to discuss everything about Investing, from investment principles, to theories, concepts, strategies to investment jargons to provide a easy reference for everyone

Moderators: alvin, learner, Dennis Ng

8Avatar

INVESTING IN EQUITIES

Post by 8Avatar »

At present is it "safe" to enter the Singapore market? If so which sectors have potential for gains?
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: INVESTING IN EQUITIES

Post by Dennis Ng »

8Avatar wrote:At present is it "safe" to enter the Singapore market? If so which sectors have potential for gains?
based on TA, as long as STI above 2,900, it is still in uptrend. You can go to our discussion forum "Discussing Specific Stocks", to look at some of the stocks with good fundamentals that are discussed there.

When I invest, I don't go for specific sectors. I let the overall market Trend help me decide whether to invest or not, then I zoom into individual stocks, not so much depend on which sector.

That said, at current moment, I will avoid shipping, airline as these 2 industries are now slowing down. But I won't particularly choose a sector eg. Oil & Gas to look at. In fact, I don't really invest into Oil & Gas stocks becos I personally do NOT Understand how to analyse the business, so I would avoid buying stocks where I don't understand their business.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Dennis Ng
Site Admin

Re: INVESTING IN EQUITIES

Post by Dennis Ng »

Five Rules for Investing by Brian HIcks 24 Apr 2012

Note: My Rules don't address specific sectors, because sectors that are in favor one decade won't be the next. This is a template for investing in any market sector in any market environment.

Protect the cash: That's how fortunes are made.

Depending on the market environment, there are times when I make five trades in a day. But there are also times when there's no investment to make. I've gone days, weeks, even months without deploying investment capital...

But when I'm ready, I have a nice big bankroll to use. So be patient.

You need to take 100% control.

As my above experience proves, you need to have 100% control of your financial destiny.

If your broker or money manager dismisses your concerns, questions, or objections, fire him immediately.

Liquidity.

Make sure the investments you are in are liquid. If you get stuck in an investment that goes "no bid," you could be in an investment (housing, for example) for months — even years — with no way out.

Trust your instincts.

If something doesn't feel right, chances are it's not.

This is why investment newsletters like Wealth Daily exist. The editors at Wealth Daily do not get paid by pitching funds (like money managers) or stocks. We get paid by the success of our investment ideas.

If you make money from our ideas, you stay with us. If you lose money, you leave us. Pure and simple.

And finally...

If you're going to speculate, go where the boom is.

This one really is simple.

As you know, we've been following the boom in the Bakken oil shale and the boom in the Marcellus for years. In fact, we were one of the first investment newsletters to bring this to your attention.

Companies heavily involved in the Bakken are making money hand over fist — and so are the shareholders of those respective companies. But we've also been playing gold, silver, rare earths, renewable energy, graphite, agriculture, and so forth...

Our rule of thumb is to play what's working until it stops working.
Cheers!

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.