Definition of "Structure" of a building

This is a forum created to discuss anything under General Insurance, which can include travel insurance, fire insurance, home content insurance etc, etc.

Moderator: Dennis Ng

Post Reply

Definition of "Structure" of a building

Post by poseidon »

Hi ,

As regards to Condos, it seems that the Managment Commitee(MC) is required to purchase insurance for the whole developement including all common areas and "structure" of the building.

What I want to know is the definition of "Structure"?

When I first moved in to the new unit, it comes with built in cabinets, water heater and marble floors. So in case of fire and these things gets damage, are these (together with all the internal water pipes and electrical wiring) considered part of the"structure"?

According to my MC, in case of fire they will restore the unit back to original, i.e. like when it was first handed over to us.

Further clarification

Post by poseidon »

The reason why I ask is that, I would like just to buy fire insurance against the contents of the house instead of both the structure and contents.

I have not done any renovation to the condo unit so there is nothing to insure against any enhancements to the unit if the MC can restore the unit to original.

Dennis Ng
Site Admin
Posts: 9781
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:16 am
Location: Singapore

Post by Dennis Ng »

definition of structure is ONLY BARE walls. It certainly does not include renovation which was done by the developer in a typical condo unit.

Verify this with insurer if you have doubts.

Dennis Ng - When You Master Your Finances, You Master Your Destiny

Note: I'm just sharing my personal comments, not giving you investment advice nor stock investment tips.
Post Reply